New computer, no power

Jake

In Runtime
PSU is a coolermaster Extreme 525W. H77 motherboard, Haf 912 case.

On the power supply manual, the diagram for the motherboard connector appears to show the colors of the wires in the reverse order, which I think might be the problem- could I have been sold an incorrectly manufactured PSU? There's only one way to connect the main cord, right? and it seems like the colors are ass backwards.

I can't think what else might be the problem. Unless it shorted out- I had everything on a wooden table but was standing on carpet while building it.

The diagram could be wrong, not the plug itself. What you can do is to search said plug with Google and compare. The color codes should be same with other makes.

Yeah it must be the diagram that's wrong...

I should mention that I've done the usual steps (cleared cmos, stripped it down, etc.) All the parts are brand new.

Just tried clearing the cmos again and now everything works...guess I didn't do it right the first time.

There's just one problem now that perhaps you guys can help me with- the cpu fan doesn't start when I power on. It's idle for a few seconds, stutters a bit, then its good. Is this something I should worry about? It's an i3 3220, stock cooler.

No, I don't think so. I've seen mine do that too. As long they run it should be ok.

Its nothing to worry about, that's most likely a self test for the CPU/Fan when the motherboard does its self check. You'll see that on any modern motherboard.

If the colours were wrong on your psu, two things would have happened. Your PSU would detect a short Orrr... the more likely thing would have been that something would have popped and released that unmistakable smell of Blue Smoke Of Death

The diagram could be right, just a mirror image of it. For example, what's on the left end of the plug is the right end of the socket.

We don't know what the diagram is and how it was looked at. Then again the socket is backward on the mobo compared to the diagram. It's all in how it's looked at.

Back
Top Bottom