First Time Builder Needs Opinions

I like PP's list as I believed he researched as much as I had when I built mine (twice :)). I have a WD Green made in 2007 still going that was in my AMD X2 3800 system I built then but it's not a fast drive, just reliable.

I did a couple of things differently because I'm not a hard core gamer (y'all have consoles for that don't ya?) and they suit me fine. I just want good parts for longevity (even my AMD still work and it's an MSI motherboard but limited to 2 gigs ram.)

Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 video card (got a Seasonic PSU with it) and Seagate Constellation 1TB HDD. It's a server drive but I leave my system running all day everyday and only shut off at bedtime.

Lol research.

Constellation was a waste really. I leave my barracudas on 24/7 and have for years.

Real gamers are part of the golden PC master race :p

Call me old fashioned if you like. I bought my parts because of researches and reviews and I like to think I got good stuff. :)

I even got a Xigmatek Gigas cube case because it was $80 off, not because I'm an extreme gamer. :D

I'm not gonna go all out and explain why PC gaming is dominant over console gaming, except to just say console gaming is dead, and has been for the last year or so. Secondly, something came up and I've had to divert the money that I was gonna use for my build to something else. I'll be able to get the money for the build again by the end of summer more then likely. By that time would there likely be any reason to alter the current setup (I've decided to go with PP's BTW)?

By that time would there likely be any reason to alter the current setup (I've decided to go with PP's BTW)?

All I'll say is this, prices will change off and on between now and near the end of august.

I higly advise you watch which items you want and pick one up piece by piece.
Newegg at times will have some good specials, not talking about weekend express sale crap ad they give out at payday.

I would build up the money and pick up the processor.
If you don't mind second hand use of that cpu check ebay/amazon and local shops.

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX - Newegg.com
Keep this in mind as well, even though are big guru's have tossed amd to the trash, it "is" still worth it.
Keep in open mind and look at both options closely. :/

except to just say console gaming is dead, and has been for the last year or so.

O_O

Off-Topic:

Blasphemy, how is it dead? Many console gamers have said the same about PC being dead. Think it is just a matter of view or point of view is all. =]

All I'll say is this, prices will change off and on between now and near the end of august.

I've noticed that the prices has been climbing when I compared my cost (not counting sale prices) to today's prices at Newegg. Memory prices seemed have climbed quite a bit. That's in 4 months since I started with a Celeron build.

O_O

Off-Topic:

Blasphemy, how is it dead? Many console gamers have said the same about PC being dead. Think it is just a matter of view or point of view is all. =]

Most developers are migrating over towards PC, especially Indie developers. Development for the PC is much easier then for consoles. If you want to develop a game for consoles, you don't only have to work on the game yourself, but also make sure that the company that owns the rights to the console approves the game. If you want to make DLC you have to pay the company thousands of dollars and risk not turning a profit. Thats why only wealthy developers work on console games. PC on the other hand is much easier. Granted Steam, the main distributer of games for the public, does require payment to distribure your game, it is MUCH lower. But for the sake of argument, let's say that none of this were true. PC is still superior for other facts such as higher accessibilty to modding, you can play any game on the best graphics availiable. One of the main reasons PC gaming is better though, is the sheer volume of games available. Any console has at max a thousand or so games in it's library. PC's have hundred's of thousands, if not millions of games available. That's not even counting all the flash games.

On another note, the PS4 does look pretty cool.....

On another note, I spent like 2 minutes writing that small essay, so please disregard the fact that it probably looks like a 7 year old wrote it. I have had this argument with to many people before to even try to make an effort to write a decent essay from the sheer boredom of repetition.

Most developers are migrating over towards PC, especially Indie developers. Development for the PC is much easier then for consoles. If you want to develop a game for consoles, you don't only have to work on the game yourself, but also make sure that the company that owns the rights to the console approves the game. If you want to make DLC you have to pay the company thousands of dollars and risk not turning a profit. Thats why only wealthy developers work on console games. PC on the other hand is much easier. Granted Steam, the main distributer of games for the public, does require payment to distribure your game, it is MUCH lower. But for the sake of argument, let's say that none of this were true. PC is still superior for other facts such as higher accessibilty to modding, you can play any game on the best graphics availiable. One of the main reasons PC gaming is better though, is the sheer volume of games available. Any console has at max a thousand or so games in it's library. PC's have hundred's of thousands, if not millions of games available. That's not even counting all the flash games.

On another note, the PS4 does look pretty cool.....

On another note, I spent like 2 minutes writing that small essay, so please disregard the fact that it probably looks like a 7 year old wrote it. I have had this argument with to many people before to even try to make an effort to write a decent essay from the sheer boredom of repetition.

Haha, no worries. Was more or less curious on your reasons than anything else. I've been a console gamer since forever and only just recently started gaming on PC. So to me that was more or less a "Huh? o_O; " more than anything. This isn't to start a Console vs PC Master Race argument (specially since it is off-topic) just want to trade thoughts and such okay? :D

I'll agree with you on most of the development and cost portion for sure. It is easier to distribute games and updates on the PC with little to no cost at all for the studio. I especially love and try to support indie games when I can, and PC seems the platform to do it on. XBLIG (Xbox Live Indie Games) was nice at first, but then got buried underneath a bunch of crap much like Apples app store.

Yes, mods and such further extend the life of the game and add much customization that many players enjoy, but isn't mandatory.

I believe development wise though, it is easier to ensure a game runs properly on a console compared to a PC. While the PC may look much more polished and beautifully pictured, it is harder to ensure the game will work on everyone's PC in general due to the variety of parts. Consoles all have the same specs according to brand, so it is much easier to ensure it runs the way it was meant to run... maybe not as pretty but it runs :)

Thoughts?

Haha, no worries. Was more or less curious on your reasons than anything else. I've been a console gamer since forever and only just recently started gaming on PC. So to me that was more or less a "Huh? o_O; " more than anything. This isn't to start a Console vs PC Master Race argument (specially since it is off-topic) just want to trade thoughts and such okay? :D

I'll agree with you on most of the development and cost portion for sure. It is easier to distribute games and updates on the PC with little to no cost at all for the studio. I especially love and try to support indie games when I can, and PC seems the platform to do it on. XBLIG (Xbox Live Indie Games) was nice at first, but then got buried underneath a bunch of crap much like Apples app store.

Yes, mods and such further extend the life of the game and add much customization that many players enjoy, but isn't mandatory.

I believe development wise though, it is easier to ensure a game runs properly on a console compared to a PC. While the PC may look much more polished and beautifully pictured, it is harder to ensure the game will work on everyone's PC in general due to the variety of parts. Consoles all have the same specs according to brand, so it is much easier to ensure it runs the way it was meant to run... maybe not as pretty but it runs :)

Thoughts?

That whole post was entirely true. I myself own 2 DSIs, a wii, a Wii U, a PS3, and a ps2. I'm not saying console gaming is bad, I'm just saying it is dead. I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about Xbox, so I can't comment on your Xbox Indie thing. Mods on the other hand are amazing. I myself spend hours a day playing modded minecraft. It isn't mandatory, but anyone that I have introduced it to has never gone back to vanilla minecraft. I'm pretty sure you cant mod minecraft on any of the on other platforms. As for the development of games, that is my problem. The company that owns the console sets the standard for how good the game can look. It is impossible to upgrade a console to get better graphics since first off it won't even work, and since there are no better graphics.

Insure you purchase items that have growth so you can upgrade as you go along. You could also look into Coolermaster silent progold series GPU's or other style brands. There is so much competition out you can't go wrong if you look around. I would run your operating system off of an SSD drive. This way your boot time is quicker. You really only would need a 2TB drive but since it's cheap now who really cares, it's certainly not gonna hurt you in any way. You could run the operating system off of the SSD and place your games on the hard drive. Here are my specs and maybe it will help you.
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Black LE Full tower.
Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard
Intel I-7 (hexacore) processor 3.2 ghz (turbo to 3.8) LGA 2011, have overclocked to 5.0. (must be watercooled or have a really good cpu cooler for overclocking). I leave mine stock since it's really overkill to begin with.
32 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram (2133 mhz) you can also run this is XMP mode in your bios setup to get faster performance out of your ram so long as it will do so).
Corsair H-100 Liquid Cooler ( I chose this one due to it's simplicity and it's a very good self contained liquid cooler) I will be soon upgrading to a twin pump assembly with custom nickle and copper waterblock which will greatly increase it's cooling ability.
Western Digital Cavier Black 2 TB Hard Drive (7200 RPM) Hard Drive-games only
Corsair SSD 128 GB for operating system only
(2) EVGA GEForce GTX 570 Video Cards (SLI). I would like to purchase two 690's but they are almost $1000 per video card so I'm waiting a while until they go down. I've never had any problem with these video cards in any game that I've played so far. They get the job done with no problem for 1/2 the cost of other video cards.
Coolermaster Silent ProGold 1200 W power supply. (you cannot hear this thing at all).
Your CD/DVD really is just simply what you prefer is all. Any will do the job so long as it complets your tasks that you need done. Another issue to look at is if your gonna have more than 16 GB you may want to look at getting windows 7 professional or above (ultimate). Most home premium versions don't utilize more than 16 GB. The computer and windows will see it but won't use more than that. When you use the professional or ultimate versions, they can utilize that. Also download from CNET a program called COMP TEMP. It will display all the important CPU and RAM information while your computer is in use and monitors temps and can give you warnings or even shut down your computer if a temp gets too high. Aslo if you get EVGA video cards and I'm sure others have different versions of it, use Precision X. Great program to monitor your video cards during game play. It monitors every possible aspect of your card while in use so you can see what your card is doing. Hope this helps, sorry it's really long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom