RAM Upgrade for ASRock Z77 Extreme6 + i7-3770K

Guttzu

In Runtime
So... I am FINALLY putting together my new build that has an i7-3770K Ivy Bridge and an ASRock Z77 Extreme6... I am in need of some advice for 16gb or RAM. I checked the ASRock MB RAM support list and it doesn't give great options but I've read where people use G.Skill or Corsair and it runs fine... I am thinking these for those 2 brands:

G.Skill: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM - Newegg.com
Corsair: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 - Newegg.com

I'm going to be doing some mild overclocking but with the RAM I don't think going higher than 1600 is really needed... I could see maybe going with 1866 speeds but it doesn't seem that necessary. If you have some suggestions for 16gb of 1866 I'd be ok with listening. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for the input sir. Do you prefer one brand over the other? Also, what would you suggest for 16gb of 1866 ram?

I like both Corsair and G.Skill as brands as I've had very good experiences with both. Even though, G.Skill don't quite like me hehe.

I don't suggest any honestly. Too much price for no gain. If you feel you just needed them then either of the same set just at 1866.

I might have to go with the 2133 speed... Now you are just making me want to order it lol. In honestly, with OC'n my 3770k, would I be better off going with the 2133? I planned on around $150 for the RAM so this is fine. Even with the timings being different, would the 2133 be that much faster than the 1866? I'm trying to buy for reliability and future proof here :)

Memory bandwidth won't be an issue for quite a while, for really almost any task at hand. That's why I keep reiterating that anything over 1600 is for grins and epeen. DDR4 will be out before we will need to upgrade our RAM, and even then I still highly doubt it will be an issue.
Just to prove this, this is my setup right now.

ram.jpg

2133 RAM kit, and if it really made any difference at all I wouldn't be running it at 1600. The FPS difference between 1333 and 2800 RAM in my co-workers review of some Dominator Plats was 3fps, and that was on an IGP that utilizes faster RAM speeds.

So with all that being said, would you be better off? Reality, no, in your head, sure lol. Whatever make YOU happy. Just want you to know the facts before your purchase.

Back
Top Bottom