Overclocking?

Mattmatt

In Runtime
I know what overclocking is, but I don't know how to do it. I know this is a dumb question but like what is the performance boost? Also, if I want to do it, how and CAN I? I have Amazon.com: ASUS Republic of Gamers G55VW-DH71 15.6-Inch Laptop: Computers & Accessories

What can you overclock? Will my computer get too hot? So many questions, if someone could just give me a run down on what it is, how to do it, if I can do it, the risks/benefits, or whatever they know about it.

Thanks.

EDIT: My computer is 2.3 GHz processor, not 2.4

First off you may want to post your question here: Overclocking and Modding - Tech & Computer Forums.

I don't know much about overclocking myself as I don't see the need for it (for me at least) but I think there are more risks of overheating when you do it on a laptop vs a desktop. And some laptops may have their BIOS locked so you can't. But others here know better (and know more) and should be able to help you out with it. :)

We have a sub-forums specifically for topics on overclocking.....

Overclocking specific parts speeds up different things. Overclocking the CPU increase overall general performance of your PC, or eliminates possible bottlenecks (or relieves) it may cause in games or on the GPU. (Speaking in general, not just your laptop).
A slow CPU will hold back the performance of 2 or more video card setups, or will hold back the overall general performance of your PC (not just FPS).

Overclocking RAM gives a boost in memory bandwidth. That can be beneficial to certain things like productivity suites, or enhance the performance of an IGP (most notably on AMD APUs).

Overclocking a GPU mainly gives a boost in FPS in games, just to keep it simple.

Think of overclocking like bolting on parts to the engine of a car. It gives off more HP (performance), but you have to maintain that extra power. In a car, that would be forged internals, or a better radiator for cooling. On a PC that would be adding volts and upgrading your cooling solution. The faster you make your parts go, the more voltage it requires to keep it stabilized, the more cooling you need to dissipate all the extra heat.

On your laptop without going into risky mods, the only thing you can overclock is your GPU. I do not recommend laptop overclocks of any kind regardless of how clean or cool it is.

Okay, so there is no point for me to attempt to overclock my video card/processor. Thanks guys.

Sure, you can gain more performance from it BUT 3 things hold you back.

1. The CPU in most all laptops cannot be overclocked. The only exception is extreme edition chips. (and in some cases software allows for in Windows OC).
2. Laptops barely provide enough cooling for the chip running stock. Overclocking can heat soak the little heatsink causing your GPU not to cool efficiently. Laptop coolers and fans can only cool so much, but the heat pipe and fin array is too small to effectively move enough heat fast enough.
3. Laptop batteries and chargers provide only enough power to feed the laptop at stock. Overclocking uses more power than the charger and battery can provide and you can potentially overheat, short out, or burn up your charger.

Its better you don't it do it specially on laptop. Apart from all the points, the major one is it will suck up your battery and waste it to drain.

Back
Top Bottom