800US on Cpu/Mobo/Memory/Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazed_climber

Baseband Member
I have a 1.5Ghz comp with 256mb and a Radeon 9200 64mb. I would like to replace these components so I was hopping you guys could help me with picking to components. The only part I have decided on is an Asus A8V Deluxe. any ideas on what to get while keeping it around 800US?

What all are you wanting to keep from your current rig? The more you keep from your current one, the better components you can get for your new one.

I don't think he will be able to keep much from that rig if it is a Pentium 4 and OEM built. Problem is that branded computers with Pentium 4 on Socket 423 all came with RDRAM instead of DDR SDRAM.

I wouldn't recommend an Athlon 64 if you were doing animation or heavy encodingand and office apps. The only thing I'd recommend an Athlon 64 for is extreme gaming. Moderate or occasional gaming is where I wouldn't recommend an Athlon 64.

Personally, I don't know what they hype is around the Athlon 64. For a budget enthusiast (contradicotry) gaming system, the Athlon XP-M which is an extreme overclocker kills the Athlon 64 if you hit the high clocks since the Athlon 64 isn't that good of an overclocker.

Nubius uses an XP-M and he hit 2.7 GHz. Now that is a dream for anyone who uses an AMD to hit that speed.

I use a Pentium 4 520 @ 540 and have never been happier.

You will have an awesome computer with this stuff:
Graphics Card- Radeon 9800 Pro-
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=1 =$189

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 w/ 90nm-
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-502&depa=1 = $203

Mobo- Asus A8V-
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-510&depa=1 = $129

Ram- OCZ Perf. 1GB PC 3200-
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-146-969&DEPA=1 = $206.25

Thats $727.25 for all of that right there and that will do very good on all of the newest games.

Intel Pentium 4 540/3.2 GHz -$217
eVGA GeForce 6600 GT -$197
Abit AA8-Duramax -$155
Corsair ValueSelect 2 x 256 MB DDR2-533 Dual Channel -$123
Thermaltake Heat Pipe Cooler -$52.99
2 x Thermaltake 90MM Fans -$14.98

That is $759.97 for everything and this will be an awesome gaming rig plus one of the best overclocking machines. I wouldn't be surprised if you hit 3.8 GHz with that. The Abit AA8-Duramax is what I use and it is the best overclocking board if you are on a budget.

I will never recommend high performance RAM. It is the exact same chip like value RAM except with modified latencies. You can modify latency on your own. As far as overclocking goes, the Pentium 4s overclock better than the Athlon 64s and they have better memory performance despite a lower bandwith. There is no added advantage to having memory past 512MB as games and applications are not optimized to use it.

First off. I am keeping my 60/40 hard drives, my dvd burner, my cd burner, my case, ethernet car, maybe my pci 2.0 usb card.

Secondly I would be using it mostly for gaming(bit of web design and dvd ripping).

Thirdly my computer is that crappy socket with the hard to find memory and its retail. Thats a big part of why im upgrading(bad mobo). I want it to be good and have to potenial to be good in years to come which brings my to what Megadeth said. Wouldn't a Athlon 64 be a better choice in the term of future upgradability?

Forthly some ppl say radeon 9800s other say Geforce 6600 Gt wouldn't I want to go for the Gefore?

Finaly does anyone agree with Megadeth on that I should get a Pentium as apose to an AMD and that any memory over 512mb is useless?

Thanks in advance
Scotty
PS: Sorry for packing so much into one post.

I can't believe somebody would say that any memory over 512mb is useless. Doom 3 and HL2 are very memory intensive and need at least 1GB to run smoothly. Also, with 512MB, your computer slows tremendously after exiting a game, you don't have that problem with 1GB. Also, AMD is better for gaming than Intel. Anybody who would tell you otherwise is a moron. However, AMDs are good for gaming and only gaming. If you do stuff like video editing and 3d rendering, you would be much better off with an Intel.

Crazed_climber said:
First off. I am keeping my 60/40 hard drives, my dvd burner, my cd burner, my case, ethernet car, maybe my pci 2.0 usb card.

Secondly I would be using it mostly for gaming(bit of web design and dvd ripping).

Thirdly my computer is that crappy socket with the hard to find memory and its retail. Thats a big part of why im upgrading(bad mobo). I want it to be good and have to potenial to be good in years to come which brings my to what Megadeth said. Wouldn't a Athlon 64 be a better choice in the term of future upgradability?

Forthly some ppl say radeon 9800s other say Geforce 6600 Gt wouldn't I want to go for the Gefore?

Finaly does anyone agree with Megadeth on that I should get a Pentium as apose to an AMD and that any memory over 512mb is useless?

Thanks in advance
Scotty
PS: sorry for packing so much into one post.

out of the 9800 pro and the 6600gt, you are definately going to want the 6600gt and its only like $20-$40 more. if you want to keep your computer up to date for a while, then get the Athlon 64 processor as future apps will be optimized for a 64-bit processor and microsoft has already said that its next version on windows (longhorn) will be optimized for 64-bit processors. and currently the Athlon 64's pwn the pentium 4's in gaming (which seems to be what you are interested in).
if you want to take full advantage of your computers capibilities then you are definetely going to want to get a whole 1gb of ram opposed to only 512mb. you can never have too much memory ;)

Thanks beedubaya. I would have to agree with everything you just said. I will be doing about 90% gaming. Rest would be downloading, using internet, Photoshop and using Dreamweaver.
I definately think ill get 1gig of memory. Meh anyways my budget isn't to stiff :eek:
One more thing. I am kinda dumb but when ever I hear people the AMD X000+ form converted to Ghz its always alot lower than Pentiums.
Nubius uses an XP-M and he hit 2.7 GHz. Now that is a dream for anyone who uses an AMD to hit that speed.
2.7 is quite low for a Pentium

This is what I think ill get so far;
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 w/ 90nm
OCZ Perf. 1GB PC 3200
GeForce 6600 GT

Sounds Tottaly awsome? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom