Low fps on every game - Saphire HD 7870

J-Dub_

Baseband Member
Hi,
I was trying to play CS:GO and heart of the swarm today and I was getting lag on both of them. In heart of the swarm, i got a constant 30 - 40 fps the whole time, and I have a i5 @ 3.2 ghz and 8gb ddr3 ram, I should have no problems running at ultra with my specs, but couldn't even get good fps on high. On cs:go I had a constant 100 fps, dropping to 20 at random intervals, which is impossible to play the game like that.
I hear that the clocks change from 1000 to 300mhz alot for some unkown reason and I can't find a good fix for this.

If anyone could help me I would be very thankful.

ZkLB7i5.png

That is a unique video cars that is able to shut off certain parts of itself to achieve a good overall power efficiency, despite it's load power draw.
I'm guessing that you seeing the core clock at 300Mhz is a function of this feature.
Have you checked the core clock during gaming/under load? Is it at 1000?

What is your power supply? Low voltage/wattage could be an issue too.

That is a unique video cars that is able to shut off certain parts of itself to achieve a good overall power efficiency, despite it's load power draw.
I'm guessing that you seeing the core clock at 300Mhz is a function of this feature.
Have you checked the core clock during gaming/under load? Is it at 1000?

What is your power supply? Low voltage/wattage could be an issue too.
'
I have a 550 W power supply. Not sure what brand.

I don't know if this could be an issue, cause I'm not familiar with how the AMD cards run their fans on "auto". My old AMD card would auto adjust clocks and voltages based on the temperature of the card. So, maybe, if the card is heating up to a certain temperature, the software turns down the power until a more desirable temperature is reached. You can try adjusting to a higher fan speed during your gaming sessions, instead of leaving it on manual control (if you haven't done so already).

Do you notice that the games play, initially, fine, and then drop significantly for the rest of the duration? Or do they all start really choppy (except for CS:GO).

Last edited:
I don't know if this could be an issue, cause I'm not familiar with how the AMD cards run their fans on "auto". My old AMD card would auto adjust clocks and voltages based on the temperature of the card. So, maybe, if the card is heating up to a certain temperature, the software turns down the power until a more desirable temperature is reached. You can try adjusting to a higher fan speed during your gaming sessions, instead of leaving it on manual control (if you haven't done so already).

Do you notice that the games play, initially, fine, and then drop significantly for the rest of the duration? Or do they all start really choppy (except for CS:GO).
Only really noticed it on CSGO, but must other games run ok.

Back
Top Bottom