First Time Builder Needs Opinions

Scratch out those 3 parts:
Galaxy 65NGH8DL7AXX GeForce GTX 650 GC 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

Newegg.com]Newegg.com - 20-233 - Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital WD AV-GP WD5000AVDS Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Genuine Windows7 Professional 64bit Full Version with SP1 | eBay

wanted save you some cash and a future rma/warranty headache you'll received from evga/seagate.
I have my reasons for changing some items. :/

Last edited:
So you went with a lesser video card, and a much slower/smaller HDD while linking the same SSD?

eVGA and Seagate have excellent customer service and RMA departments. One persons bad experience vs a whole slew of documented (forums, websites) good experiences including many of my own.

To the OP, I only linked a 120GB SSD. A 240GB SSD would have been way over your budget.
The blower style coolers are the best in 2 aspect.
1: They guarantee reference desinged cards meaning you can put any type of aftermarket cooling if you desire without the wonder of possible problems.
2: They blow the heat out the back of your case rather than back in the case. You want this instead of buying expensive fans to keep the rest of the case cooler for the extra heat being dumped into it.

Considering the 600 series runs exceptionally cool the card shouldn't run above 75%. They aren't as unbearable as people try to make them out to be. They are noisy at 85% (max) sure, but you won't hear that very often if any at all. I have warmer running cards in SLI and at stock I never hear the eVGA card ramp up unless I'm running my custom fan profile.

So you went with a lesser video card, and a much slower/smaller HDD while linking the same SSD?

eVGA and Seagate have excellent customer service and RMA departments. One persons bad experience vs a whole slew of documented (forums, websites) good experiences including many of my own.

To the OP, I only linked a 120GB SSD. A 240GB SSD would have been way over your budget.
1: They guarantee reference desinged cards meaning you can put any type of aftermarket cooling if you desire without the wonder of possible problems.
2: They blow the heat out the back of your case rather than back in the case. You want this instead of buying expensive fans to keep the rest of the case cooler for the extra heat being dumped into it.

Considering the 600 series runs exceptionally cool the card shouldn't run above 75%. They aren't as unbearable as people try to make them out to be. They are noisy at 85% (max) sure, but you won't hear that very often if any at all. I have warmer running cards in SLI and at stock I never hear the eVGA card ramp up unless I'm running my custom fan profile.

My bad, I had another window open with a 240GB SSD, and thought it was the one you posted by accident. So yea, I'm really liking this build. One last thing, I've been hearing that computer prices are REALLy high compared to what they usually are. Would it be worth it to wait a couple months until the prices lower?

No everything is actually way lower, with the only exceptions being RAM as DDR3 demand is dropping causing the prices to rise slowly, and HDDs. When that tsunami hit the Asian Pacific HDD companies took advantage of it and ramped prices up high. HDD prices are at an all time low since. That's why I said wait for 4TB drives to become lower as they are dropping 5 or so dollars every week to two weeks.

DDR3 RAM won't be getting any lower anymore because DDR4 should be released next year or in 2015.

SSD prices will continue to get lower but high end drives are ~ $1/GB so pretty good deal. That is why I bought a 120GB Neutron GTX for myself.

Why yes I did chuckles, I already know seagate for too long, yeah the hard drives are fine after so long it will run and does conk out on you.
I expect them to last for atleast a good year or 2, not somewhat months after install and omg its dead ??
Also western digital is pretty quick to replace your item as long as you have your "facts" "documents" and receipts right.
That green one will hold him steady, mine has lasted for 5 years, couldnt be anymore pleased than that. :)
Same goes for galaxy, I prefer he went with it, in my opinion they perform better than some evga based cards.
Not going to spec or nanny pick which is best for any users.
Based on evgas details and galaxy's he won't miss much action at all.
He has a wolverine on his hands when he builds it.

Lastly reviews, forums tech-support or what not, people do have problems with their new builds.
Mostly it isn't them not unless they build stupidly and blindly without thinking or asking for help.
Being here and elswhere posting on the net, I have seen many more problems arise from popular manufacturers.
Take some time out and do some home work, and you'll begin to understand what I mean. :/

Goodnight.

Last edited:
How is a non ti 650 going to perform even remotely close to a 660ti regardless of vendor? It's not.

eVGA is the #1 seller of Nvidia cards man. I know their head of RMA and have always had top notch service from them. They were even going to replace my P55 FTW after I told them I fried the hell out of it from running it under phase. They replaced a 280 that was under an aftermarket water block. I don't know of any other company that will replace your gear when you openly tell them that stuff. Besides all that, there still is no way a 650 is even worth putting in a 1200 dollar budget rig. It won't even compare in performance. A 660ti outperforms even a GTX580, where as a 650 is slower than a 560ti.

I won't even comment on the Seagate remarks. I have had my 1TB going strong since 2009. Every other drive in my system is now a Seagate and without issue. I have purchased Seagate drives since they took over Maxtor and have never had an issue with them. Every single WD drive I have ever owned has died on me. Do I tell people to not buy them? No. Because it's all luck of the draw on HDDs.

I do plenty of homework on the parts I recommend, including using them myself. Hence the ASRock comment in my sig. I have no reason to lie to make sales for companies that don't pay me. I recommend quality parts that get the job done and push the most performance for the dollar reliably.

How is a non ti 650 going to perform even remotely close to a 660ti regardless of vendor? It's not.

eVGA is the #1 seller of Nvidia cards man. I know their head of RMA and have always had top notch service from them. They were even going to replace my P55 FTW after I told them I fried the hell out of it from running it under phase.
I won't even comment on the Seagate remarks. I have had my 1TB going strong since 2009. Every other drive in my system is now a Seagate and without issue. I have purchased Seagate drives since they took over Maxtor and have never had an issue with them. Every single WD drive I have ever owned has died on me. Do I tell people to not buy them? No. Because it's all luck of the draw on HDDs.

I do plenty of homework on the parts I recommend, including using them myself. Hence the ASRock comment in my sig. I have no reason to lie to make sales for companies that don't pay me. I recommend quality parts that get the job done and push the most performance for the dollar reliably.

How swell of you. :)
I don't know what else to tell you, but not everything is all swell with any manufacturers.
Not everything is as simple as you think. :/
I use to like seagate, but they have some really bad issues they need to address. Before I attempt to make them my default user of choice to use I rather not go thatroute with them.

Have a good day mguire.:/

Well like I said, it's hit or miss for each individual with HDD companies. Considering nobody has came back with problems regarding their Seagate drives I think we're good with recommending Seagate drives. With eVGA, nobody I have recommended their cards to has came back with problems concerning the card in question.

Back to the build...

This build is good, but you may want to get some of your parts from elsewhere. There are two Microcenters in Atlanta and Microcenter tends to compete with Newegg, I know they match and beat Processor and Motherboard prices (especially with thier $40 off bundle deal) but you may be able to convince them to beat other parts in prices too.
I have had them match or beat RAM, CPU, and Motherboard in the past myself.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor 407627 - Micro Center
Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

Together those cost $302 after sales tax is applied.
That's $30 less right there and when you decide to buy and build, you can pick up your parts locally and build that day.
Micro Center is also great with returns, but hold on to your receipt.

Last edited:
I like PP's list as I believed he researched as much as I had when I built mine (twice :)). I have a WD Green made in 2007 still going that was in my AMD X2 3800 system I built then but it's not a fast drive, just reliable.

I did a couple of things differently because I'm not a hard core gamer (y'all have consoles for that don't ya?) and they suit me fine. I just want good parts for longevity (even my AMD still work and it's an MSI motherboard but limited to 2 gigs ram.)

Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 video card (got a Seasonic PSU with it) and Seagate Constellation 1TB HDD. It's a server drive but I leave my system running all day everyday and only shut off at bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom