RAM

I would say having 2 sticks would be better, just for the fact it can then utilize dual memory channels. The two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module.

For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again.

Some say that performances really only increase about 10% when using dual channel memory, but hey that's 10%!

I would say most modern motherboards support dual memory channels, you would have to look at your motherboard specifications to see whether or not it supports it.

And if it does (which i'm assuming it does), yes 2x2gb would be approx. 10% faster (if all 3 sticks are of the same frequency).

If you're buying RAM: look at the PC# (ie-PC3-8500, PC2-5400, PC3-14900, etc.), or it would say DDR3-1333 (the frequency or speed is the bolded number divided by 2, so in this case it would 667mhz)

If you already have the RAM in your computer, run a program like CPU-Z and in the "Memory" section look to see what the frequency is (ie - freq=800mhz; 800mhz=DDR3-1600 or PC3-12800).

How can you tell the frequency? (might be dumb question but I'm learning lol)

If you can navigate your computers bios, check under ram settings and see what speed it is currently set to.
Onboard windows when your tracking a oc or diagnosing a program/game problem cpu-z would come in handy.

It won't make you feel much of difference as in performance wise, however having two individual slots have long term benefits with it. Consider you 1 slot 2 GB is not working. Its all wasted. However, if you have 2 GB ram with 2 stick , You are still left with 1gb. Other then that no much differece.

Here is an interesting tip for increasing your ram virtually using usb drive
use USB drive as ram in windows

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom