First Time Builder Needs Opinions

l3radrocks

Solid State Member
Hey guys, before I start just let me give a bit of background info. First off, I am an avid gamer, but i have a problem; my computer is a Mac. As most of you probably know macs are not for gaming what so ever. So I decided to build myself a PC. Secondly I do not claim to have any idea what I'm doing. I have read a couple guides and think I have a very basic idea of what to do.
So yea, I have decided to build myself a computer and have come up with this system. The price of it come up to around $ 1,000.

Case : Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Storage (Hard drive) : Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

Motherboard : ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CD Drive : LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29 - OEM

Proccesser : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory : G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Heatsink Fan : ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Multi-Directional Mount, 92mm PWM Fan

Power Supply : SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

GPU : EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Ok so here are my problems. First of all, I don't even know if all these products are compatible with each other. With the research I have done, I think they are, but I want to be safe. Secondly I just want to know if this rig would server as a good gaming PC.

I would love if you guys could recommend other parts instead of these, but please also tell me why. By the way, my budget is about $ 1,200.

Thanks In advance, Brad.

So I had a bunch typed out and the forums are messing up so sorry if this seems rushed as I really don't feel like retyping it all.

To start, everything is compatible. Bravo on that one. You have the CPU to GPU power ratio backwards. The 8350 is fine, but the 650ti is weak for that kind of budget. You should have an i5 and 660ti combo.

Next, Green drives are meant for storage and saving power. They aren't as fast as say Blacks or Barracuda XTs. Also, do you really need 3TB of space?
Will you be watching any Bluray on your PC? If not, you can ditch that drive and get a DVD burner or just use none.

Nothing is held back by memory bandwidth, so anything past 1600MHz isn't necessary.

You don't need to OC, so an aftermarket cooler isn't necessary with the rig I will be posting.

You should also consider an SSD with that kind of budget. HDDs are freakin slow.

So I had a bunch typed out and the forums are messing up so sorry if this seems rushed as I really don't feel like retyping it all.

To start, everything is compatible. Bravo on that one. You have the CPU to GPU power ratio backwards. The 8350 is fine, but the 650ti is weak for that kind of budget. You should have an i5 and 660ti combo.

Next, Green drives are meant for storage and saving power. They aren't as fast as say Blacks or Barracuda XTs. Also, do you really need 3TB of space?
Will you be watching any Bluray on your PC? If not, you can ditch that drive and get a DVD burner or just use none.

Nothing is held back by memory bandwidth, so anything past 1600MHz isn't necessary.

You don't need to OC, so an aftermarket cooler isn't necessary with the rig I will be posting.

You should also consider an SSD with that kind of budget. HDDs are freakin slow.
First off thanks for the reply. So basically your recommending I re-plan my build around intel? Also I am planning to use a quite a bit of storage space, but 3TB was more to be safe then sorry. I was planning on getting an SSD, but thought twice once i saw the price. I'll think about getting and SSD now though.

Yes I am. I'm more saying you need more GPU power. You might want to rethink the 3TB and BD and grab an SSD, 1TB, and DVD burner now then upgrade to a 4TB later. It looks like every months the Seagate 4TB Barracuda drops about 5 bucks or so. I'm about to hit the buy button myself on 3.

I had a lot more typed out explaining things further but when I hit send the forum timed out and really ****ed me off.

BTW, do you need a copy of Windows?

Ok so yea, I'm convinced now I'm gonna get an SSD and a Hard drive. The Blue Ray was more of a convince factor, but I don't really need it since I've got a PS3. And yea, I do need a copy of windows.

A couple other questions too, first would overclocking help my build at all? Would it cause me to have to re-think other components? Any recomendations of what GPU I should get?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've heard the GPUS with that blower style fan are REALLY noisey. I don't have a problem with it making noise, but I've had people tell me that they are unbearable. Is this true?

Also, is 240GB of SSD memory really necessary? Could I go lower and still have enough memory?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom