windows 7 drivers

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i just got my son a different computer. it is a refurbished HP DC9700 running windows 7. we got it from tiger direct.

HP DC7900 Desktop PC - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Off Lease) at TigerDirect.com

he wants to play minecraft on it. when we try to play it, it says that minecraft can not open, because the video card driver needs to be updated. it needs accelerated open gl, whatever that is. i ran the updates from windows update, hopeing it would be in that. but it was not. i am not sure what it has for a graphics card, or even where to find that in windows 7. can anyone PLEASE help me with this??? thanks.

You'll need to put a separate graphics card in the system.

It only has integrated Intel graphics, and IIRC, the Intel graphics don't have OpenGL capability.

really?! ok, i think i can handle that. it just involves removing one of the blanks in the bottom back of the computer, and plugging in a new card, right? i would think it might come with a cd to set it up also? is there one card that is better than the rest? if it was an intake manifold on a car, i would know how to select one. but these things my knowledge is very limited on. i really appreciate the help! i just looked on ebay quickly, i am NOT going to spend $200.00+ on a graphics card! so it will have to be in the lower end of what will work for his application.

Last edited:
It wont take much to run Minecraft as long as he keeps the mods to a minimum. Probably be good paying like 80 bucks for a GT640 or something.

i would like to get this for under $100.00. i saw this on ebay, Galaxy GT 440 2GB DDR3 Express PC Graphics Card BB44GPF4DC Gaming Computer 18290 | eBay which looks fine to me. but i have no idea if this is what he needs, or not. of course, he is 11, and chomping like a great white shark to get playing this game. is there anything we can do in the mean time to make this work to some extent, by tweaking something or downloading something? i am willing to fix it right, i just want to make him happy asap.

i would like to get this for under $100.00. i saw this on ebay, Galaxy GT 440 2GB DDR3 Express PC Graphics Card BB44GPF4DC Gaming Computer 18290 | eBay which looks fine to me. but i have no idea if this is what he needs, or not. of course, he is 11, and chomping like a great white shark to get playing this game. is there anything we can do in the mean time to make this work to some extent, by tweaking something or downloading something? i am willing to fix it right, i just want to make him happy asap.

In the meantime... unless you go out and buy one at a retail store, no. You're limited by the hardware because it does not support the OpenGL software. A good time to teach him patience ;).

[QUOTEIntel Core i7 3960x @ 4.6GHz | ASRock Extreme 6 x79 | 64GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2133 | GTX 580 SLI |120GB Corsair Neutron GTX | Cooler Master HAF 922 | Custom water loop | Corsair HX850w | Windows 8 Pro MCE x64 | Samsung GS2 Shostock 2 | InFocus 1080p DLP Projector 120" | 24" NEC MultiSync 2470WNX | Logitech G930 | JBL Creature 2 2.1

PP Mguire highly recommends ASRock Intel boards!][/QUOTE]
PP Mguire, i am not sure if that is a list of different graphics cards, or the specifics on the internals of your computer. the last one looks like a motherboard. which i am NOT going to change. unfortunately, this is a world where i am totally lost. my computer, which was top shelf 5 years ago, i am sure is so outdated most of you guys would only use to check your e-mail if forced to. i can use, if i am lucky 1/2 of 1% of what this one is capable of doing. when i was in high school, a home computer was a kit you bought, and built at home. for more than you can buy a new computer for right now! "hi-tech" was reel to reel video tape, and reel to reel tape recorders!

[QUOTEIntel Core i7 3960x @ 4.6GHz | ASRock Extreme 6 x79 | 64GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2133 | GTX 580 SLI |120GB Corsair Neutron GTX | Cooler Master HAF 922 | Custom water loop | Corsair HX850w | Windows 8 Pro MCE x64 | Samsung GS2 Shostock 2 | InFocus 1080p DLP Projector 120" | 24" NEC MultiSync 2470WNX | Logitech G930 | JBL Creature 2 2.1

PP Mguire highly recommends ASRock Intel boards!]
PP Mguire, i am not sure if that is a list of different graphics cards, or the specifics on the internals of your computer. the last one looks like a motherboard. which i am NOT going to change. unfortunately, this is a world where i am totally lost. my computer, which was top shelf 5 years ago, i am sure is so outdated most of you guys would only use to check your e-mail if forced to. i can use, if i am lucky 1/2 of 1% of what this one is capable of doing. when i was in high school, a home computer was a kit you bought, and built at home. for more than you can buy a new computer for right now! "hi-tech" was reel to reel video tape, and reel to reel tape recorders![/QUOTE]

Those are his specs of his machine, not what hes recommending ;).

Back
Top Bottom