What's the next logical upgrade?

EOL isn't the end all be all to computers. If he bought a 3570k and it lasted him 5 years, whatever is on the Haswell side will be EOL as well and he would need to fully upgrade anyways. Playing the waiting game doesn't exactly have huge advantages anymore unless there are huge leaps in tech like SATA 2 to 3 or USB2 to 3, which you can purchase add in cards for. (Or PCI-E tech, when it's actually taken advantage of)

Considering my i5 750 backup rig stock can max any game out there with a respectable GPU (no GT640 nonsense), then a 3570k is going to last quite a while. Both setups will be EOL by the time he is ready for an upgrade, much like my i5 and his i7. I agree though, and said the same thing. His CPU is fine, and he was proven this by purchasing the 8320 and got similar performance. I also said he should OC his 930, but some people just don't want to go that route.

Haswell showed roughly a 10% overall increase in performance on the engineering samples over the 3770k. Binning won't help that very much making IPC less than the jump from SB to IB. Sure, the smaller process and less power consumption is fine, but I mean IB already takes a low amount of power as it is. Haswell is going to be what, 55w TDP or somewhere around there? Not much different than IB in terms of total unoverclocked power. With speedstep, I bet both are going to be about the same for browsing. Stock clocks IIRC are about the same, or are the same too. Literally waiting a few months and spending more money on such a small performance gap. That would be like me upgrading to the 4960x. Kind of pointless. It would be more economical to just buy an IB when Haswell drops when the prices are cheaper. Like the people who bought the 2500k after IB was released. Probably score a used 3570k for 150 bucks from an early adopter.

Hey guys I appreciate both responses. I will overclock my i7 I forgot to mention that I have a h60 cooler on my pc. My i7 is stock as I'm not sure what voltage I want to set it at and multiplier to set it to. So my cpu currently runs around 30~ degrees idle with the cooler II have. If someone wouldn't mind telling me what voltage and timing to set it to I'd be greatful. I looked around on my own at set it to 1.25 voltage and got it to 4. ghz but I don't know if that's a safe voltage or not.

Oh and edit I have a 1000 watt PSU that I purchased in january.

Hey guys I appreciate both responses. I will overclock my i7 I forgot to mention that I have a h60 cooler on my pc. My i7 is stock as I'm not sure what voltage I want to set it at and multiplier to set it to. So my cpu currently runs around 30~ degrees idle with the cooler II have. If someone wouldn't mind telling me what voltage and timing to set it to I'd be greatful. I looked around on my own at set it to 1.25 voltage and got it to 4. ghz but I don't know if that's a safe voltage or not.

Oh and edit I have a 1000 watt PSU that I purchased in january.
We'd need to know the model/make of your motherboard first, to ensure it's safe to overclock on. Otherwise if you have a low end board, it could literally catch fire. After we solve that, overclocking is pretty simple and straight forward. Just keep cranking up the multiplier and volts until you reach the voltage limit. The voltage limit is the absolute highest volts before you actually start causing faster wear to your processor. If you can hold 4.0GHz stable at 1.25v than them are acceptable volts. You would have a C0 stepping or higher to obtain that, I would set it to 4.0GHz at 1.25v then put a load on it for 10 minutes. If it doesn't lock up bump the voltage down to 1.20 volts and do the same thing. Rinse and repeat until your computer locks up under load (use Prime95 to put a load on it). Once you reached the lockup point than you can work your way up slowly until you got 4.0GHz stable. If you can maintain 4.0GHz stable on like around 1.175v than you're on the money.

He has a UD3R and up to 1.45v would be fine with sufficient cooling but he only has an H60.

What's this multiplier talk? This isn't an extreme CPU, it's all bclk.

Edit: Actually, we should encourage he find the real solution to his problem. Overclocking won't fix whatever is holding him back. His CPU and GPU usage are both rather low, and we all know WoW doesn't stress his caliber of machine.

Last edited:
If you're showing 8 threads in task manager then they are working. Use Prime95 to load up those cores, if it crashes then you have a stability problem. You can use Coretemp to monitor your load temps. Stock, it shouldn't be very high at all. 65c tops. If your speed is dropping while load testing then your CPU is throttling.

I probably asked this, but when you used the 8320 setup did you do a fresh install of Windows?

Maybe not all my cores are working? Is that even possible ?
Try turning off vsync. As that will force the game to run at the same frame rate as you're adapters current refresh rate. You can also see if WoW is already limiting your frame rate.

Code:
/console maxfps 0

If you're showing 8 threads in task manager then they are working. Use Prime95 to load up those cores, if it crashes then you have a stability problem. You can use Coretemp to monitor your load temps. Stock, it shouldn't be very high at all. 65c tops. If your speed is dropping while load testing then your CPU is throttling.

I probably asked this, but when you used the 8320 setup did you do a fresh install of Windows?

Yes I did a fresh install of windows

Also I uncapped WoW and same FPS with Vertical Sync off

I'm really curious as to what it could be.

Last edited:
Sorry is this has been answered already, but:

What brand is your PSU? 1000w doesn't mean it's a good one, if it has multiple rails with low amp ratings, that could be a problem, however, everything else on that rig seems to be up to snuff so I'm doubting it really is a PSU problem, but over looking it would be a mistake.

Sorry is this has been answered already, but:

What brand is your PSU? 1000w doesn't mean it's a good one, if it has multiple rails with low amp ratings, that could be a problem, however, everything else on that rig seems to be up to snuff so I'm doubting it really is a PSU problem, but over looking it would be a mistake.
670's are rated at 170w, even if he had four +12v rails on his unit, each of them would still be packing over 200w per rail. So it can't be the power supply, else all of his other games would cause way worse issues. Games such as BF3 are more GPU demanding and would draw more power. It has to do with drivers or something else, it doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. Unless something like his GPU is overheating and its throttling back to avoid damage (that I doubt).

Back
Top Bottom