New build, need some input.

If I put the H80i on the back exhaust spot then how do i get rid of general case heat? does it get pulled through the h80i? and if that is the case then would it not make the cpu cooler work hard/be not as effective?

Your case isn't going to be that hot. It'll be a little warmer than ambient but still be just as effective. Better than an air cooler, because that dumps all heat into the case. With the h80i setup all heat is effectively pushed out of the case keeping the case cooler. The 660 is also a very cool running GPU, and all of that heat gets pushed out the back as well. You will only have a small amount of heat soak from the back of the GPU and the HDD heat to contend with.

Another option is going with a different case that has a top exhaust, dual fans in the back, or making the side panel an extra exhaust.

thanks PP,

What if i wanted to spend more $$ on this build. Where would you spend more?; GPU? Memory?

Would you say it is senseless?

Well, if you are planning on gaming at all then the GPU and PSU. I would up the PSU to the Seasonic 620 or Corsair HX650, then change the GPU over to the 670 or 680. If not, then you can move up to 32GB of RAM or possibly get a bigger SSD. That is of course if you are going with the 3930k.

Well, if you are planning on gaming at all then the GPU and PSU. I would up the PSU to the Seasonic 620 or Corsair HX650, then change the GPU over to the 670 or 680. If not, then you can move up to 32GB of RAM or possibly get a bigger SSD. That is of course if you are going with the 3930k.

Thanks PP.

You never know I may want to start gaming. How much money do you make gaming?

I think I will go with the 3930 and the 680 as well as more ram. I like corsair so I will go with the HX650. Should I just double the vengeance or is there something a little better?

If price is not a concern would you use all SSD ?

No I would not. Even though they have SLC and enterprise SSD, I just don't trust the tech for my storage needs. If you mean other than storage then yes I totally would. Then again, I only really play 1 or 2 games at a time so not a real concern to me.

There is better, even though not really needed. You don't really get any performance gains going with faster RAM, but the next step up in both areas would be this set.
CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4A1866C9 - Newegg.com

I don't make any money gaming.

A bit late but...

10k drives are too hot and don't provide enough gain for the price/heat/performance ratio. A good 7200RPM drive like a Barracuda XT or WD Black with 64MB cache will mostly keep up with the Raptors. It's my personal belief that the Raptors were a very niche thing just before SSDs came around.

A man who knows what he's talking about! :D

more or less what he said, 10k drives get hot, are extremely loud, cant out preform a well sorted SSD, and again... They are LOUDDDD!

Oh, and those XTs are awesome drives, the real trick is trying to find one for a good price!

I would hope I know what I'm talking about. I own 3 Raptors myself. They give me a terrible headache when I use my 98 box so I took the damn things out.

Back
Top Bottom