Acer Ultrabook Keyboard stopped working!!

y2kcurran

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have a request for help,

I have an Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3-581TG with the following spec:

Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3-581TG NX.RYKEK.010

Except i'm running windows 7 and have just the 500GB HD on its own.

I only have had it since christmas and have been VERY happy with its performance so far...

BUT lastnight I switched it on and the keyboard and touchpad is completely unresponsive, when I went into control panel-hardware-keyboard there was a red "x" symbol beside it and when I ran a diagnostic on it it stated the driver wasn't installed properly and searched itself for a fix, It seemed to find something and tried installing it but then reported it wasn't installed properly.

I restored the laptop to two different previous restore points with no effect and so have since undid all restores (using the onscreen keyboard and a mouse).

I have tried pressing F2/F6/F8 on startup but with no effect....

I have seen a fix that has seemed to work for people where they disconnect the power lead and battery, press and hold the power button for 30-45 secs, connect just the battery and reboot, however my battery is internal and can't be clipped out like most laptops...

I'm running out of ideas and most driver update sites seem to be a trick to get you to install their software for free then charge you for anything else so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I don't want to have to get an external HDD, back everything up and go through the returns process to try get a replacement laptop...

Many thanks!

Darren.

Try the following drivers.
Oddly enough, I could not find official keyboard drivers for your model, only touchpad drivers.
I'm assuming that your keyboard uses a windows included driver.

These are for Windows 7 64bit.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDF....zip?acerid=634820038985144671&Step1=Notebook, Ultrabook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire M3-581TG&OS=701&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27

http://global-download.acer.com/GDF....zip?acerid=634686853295082536&Step1=Notebook, Ultrabook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire M3-581TG&OS=701&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27

For more drivers, search your model number here.
Acer | Download

Thanks very much for the reply....unfortunately neither of the links worked and when I tried to search for my model none of the links found work either :/

"ELAN PS/2 port smart pad" seems to be the problem, I've since tried uninstalling the driver, rebooting the machine and reinstalling but to no effect, it says "the device cannot start.(error 10)

I've currently plugged in a USB keyboard which works fine...for now...

Have you or anyone else got any ideas on how to fix this!? :/

Thanks,

Darren.

====SOLVED====

Hi all,

I got this sorted by unplugging the power cable and holding the power button in for a few seconds!! It didn't matter that I couldn't remove the battery like in the fix I mentioned previously.

Thanks for the advice,

Darren.

Back
Top Bottom