Making a Black build, parts help wanted

Gosh guys, I like both Intel and AMD...they both have their high/low points. Granted, AMD has lost a lot of ground, but heck, recently we could pick up the a brand new FX AMD Eight core for $160 and the Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 for under $90. I believe that was a great deal considering we paid only $250 for excellent components.

PPM, I highly respect you and the info you worked so hard to gather and post. In fact, I never assembled my "dream machine" AMD FX 8350/Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 after listening to you. Even though I had already purchased both these items, I chose not to build it. Instead I settled for the Intel i5-2500k with that new EVGA 160-SB-E689-KR for $60 from NE. My AMD FX 8350 and the Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 are still sitting on the shelf, calling my name every time I walk by.

To be honest with you [and I am NOT bashing you PPM], I think both rigs would have got the job done and would do the job well. My main reason for going the Intel route was to save energy [less wattage] and to avoid the above normal heat issue on the NB chip that has been an issue on so many AMD boards.

The way I see it, no need to bash AMD.

And here is a post that kinda shows both CPU chips in question with some very interesting benchmarks and comments:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

And now, on to Patonb with that beautiful Corsair 650D.

Patonb, can you hear me? Come in, over!

I found your wire mesh to help cool down your Corsair 650D.

You can find it here for only $14.99:

Obsidian Series® 650D Mesh Side Panel Insert

Hope this helps!

Soar

Last edited:
Whatever floats your boat mguire, not everything has to be intel only and king of the crop. :/

Soar, my good man, your post, don't do that again.
Have a good stare at what you said and call us again in the morning.
It made no sense whatsoever and adding on more fuel to the fire.

Goodnight folks. :/

Gosh guys, I like both Intel and AMD...they both have their high/low points. Granted, AMD has lost a lot of ground, but heck, recently we could pick up the a brand new FX AMD Eight core for $160 and the Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 for under $90. I believe that was a great deal considering we paid only $250 for excellent components.

PPM, I highly respect you and the info you worked so hard to gather and post. In fact, I never assembled my "dream machine" AMD FX 8350/Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 after listening to you. Even though I had already purchased both these items, I chose not to build it. Instead I settled for the Intel i5-2500k with that new EVGA 160-SB-E689-KR for $60 from NE. My AMD FX 8350 and the Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 are still sitting on the shelf, calling my name every time I walk by.

To be honest with you [and I am NOT bashing you PPM], I think both rigs would have got the job done and would do the job well. My main reason for going the Intel route was to save energy [less wattage] and to avoid the above normal heat issue on the NB chip that has been an issue on so many AMD boards.

The way I see it, no need to bash AMD.

And here is a post that kinda shows both CPU chips in question with some very interesting benchmarks and comments:

Intel Core i5 2500K vs AMD FX 8350

Hope this helps!

Soar
Lol that site is a joke, and you don't compare the 2500k to the 8350. The 8350 gets compared to the 3570k. As indicated here.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-FX-8350-Black-Edition

Even still, if you want to look at that site for comparison, it even shows the 2500k having higher single threaded performance. The 3570k will be 10% even higher than that, which further increases the performance gap per core between AMDs highest end and Intel's mainstream quad without HT. If you understand any of that, then you will know that Intel is the way to go for gaming. Which has been my whole point all along.

Let me put an end to this right here, right now. In a gaming rig, the Intel will be faster and cheaper. Let me prove it.

8350 and cheapest 990FX motherboard = $312
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com
Newegg.com - ECS A990FXM-A AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

That is a cheap ass ECS board as well. The next up being the ASRock.

i5 3330 and ASRock B75 = $249
Newegg.com - ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330 - Newegg.com

If you want SLI and Crossfire features that mimic the 990FX then the motherboard prices will be about equal, but in this case you don't need SLI/Crossfire or an overclockable rig if you are budgeting. Meaning, if you aren't budgeting for gaming, a 3570k would take the cake making the 8350 yet moot still.

So there you have it. It is cheaper to go Intel for more gaming performance.
The cherry on top, the 3570k is only 30 bucks more than the 8350. An Extreme 3 Z77 3570k based rig to match overclockability and SLI/Crossfire capability is not much more than the 8350 setup. Also consumes less power and puts off less heat. I don't think I have to spell it out anymore.

The whipped cream and double cherry, if we want to start talking OCing the 8350 will not catch an overclocked 3570k in gaming.

Also Soars, I would not have put off the 8350 for the 2500k. The 8350 is better than the 2500k in quite a few things unless you overclock it. That's why I said, AMD's only decent CPU is the 8350. I just can't stand how much heat it puts off and how much power it sucks. When you overclock it's worse.

@Mike, yes it does. I prefer to recommend people the best bang for their buck. Considering 9/10 people who come here want budget gaming rigs then they are going to get recommended an i3 3220. Why? Because it will give off better per core performance and after Haswell is released those i5s will get even cheaper for the people with a bit more cash. The only people who actually want to buy an AMD are the people who are smoking the AMD crack, or have a reason to go APU.

Edit: I think most people here tend to forget over time that I was nothing BUT AMD until 2009. When my 2 bench machines were getting the pants spanked off them by 2 Intel rigs, one inferior, and same gen same price, I realized it was time to reevaluate exactly why I'm losing clock for clock. When I switched my rig over to the i5 750 from an equally clocked 955BE it was night and day difference. I have not looked back since because the reviews, benchmarks, and my personal usage has showed AMD's FX chips have taken a step backwards.

Last edited:
Let me put an end to this right here, right now. In a gaming rig, the Intel will be faster and cheaper. Let me prove it.

@Mike, yes it does. I prefer to recommend people the best bang for their buck. Considering 9/10 people who come here want budget gaming rigs then they are going to get recommended an i3 3220. Why? Because it will give off better per core performance and after Haswell is released those i5s will get even cheaper for the people with a bit more cash. The only people who actually want to buy an AMD are the people who are smoking the AMD crack, or have a reason to go APU.

Edit: I think most people here tend to forget over time that I was nothing BUT AMD until 2009. When my 2 bench machines were getting the pants spanked off them by 2 Intel rigs, one inferior, and same gen same price, I realized it was time to reevaluate exactly why I'm losing clock for clock. When I switched my rig over to the i5 750 from an equally clocked 955BE it was night and day difference. I have not looked back since because the reviews, benchmarks, and my personal usage has showed AMD's FX chips have taken a step backwards.

You don't listen well do you ? :/
Why bother with 8350, I won't even bother to get 8 core right now.
This is what I have in my machine:
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX - Newegg.com
If anyone wanted a buget build I stick them with this or 6 core depending on their needs.
if they did gaming and school work that requires much processing use this guy would have been perfect.
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX - Newegg.com
Motherboard:
You like Asrock here you go:
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX - Newegg.com
Remember neither intel or amd motherboards are perfect, don't be so quick to burm amd directly when its not their fault.
Talk to the idiot across the land line on tech-support 2000 miles away and see whats up so you can fix it.

You got your points and admire that but so do I.
Goodnight and stop playing elderscrolls so late at night or I'm calling your wife this week. :devil:

I bother with the 8350 because it's the only competitive CPU in their line up. An i3 3220 can do anything a 2 module or 3 module can do, and sometimes do it better. One other thing most everybody tends to forget is, later on down the line you can upgrade that i3 to an i5 or i7 giving an even bigger advantage plus more worth to your purchase previously.
This is almost as ridiculous as the AMD vs Nvidia argument, which both have a very clear winner. AMD people want to argue over Nvidia and Intel pricing. Um, the pricing between the two aren't very different until you get into the extreme high end where Nvidia and Intel both have a very clear advantage. Who cares about that, we care about mainstream market because we are poor (anybody else watching this, most of my rig was free from contests).

If you want, run some CPU benches and I'll run the same with only 2 cores enabled and HT at stock clocks. That'll pretty much test an i3 2120 vs a 4100. I bet everybody here will be surprised at the outcome.

Hope this helps!

Soar

Yha... Pop in your shipping location to Canada, and BAAAAAZing i's $35 shipping on it!

I've had this case since release too..

I freaking missed out on free cdn shipping by 1 day when it was originally released.

Gotta call them and see f I can swing cheaper shipping, or figure out size so I can get a co-worker to re-ship it too me.

Your case is essentially setup the same way mine is. If your 200mm fans are still stock then you need to replace them and your cooling will be much better. I mean, I have 5 HDDs, 2 Fermi's, and the top exhaust is 2 dual Noctua's with a rad. Only intake I have is that Bitfenix 200mm and it keeps everything pretty cool.

Yha... Pop in your shipping location to Canada, and BAAAAAZing i's $35 shipping on it!

I've had this case since release too..

I freaking missed out on free cdn shipping by 1 day when it was originally released.

Gotta call them and see f I can swing cheaper shipping, or figure out size so I can get a co-worker to re-ship it too me.

patonb,

oooohhhhh! I see...

That shipping is very steep....more than double the price for the component itself!

Well, I hope you can find a way to get it to Canada without paying an arm and a leg.

I believe you'll see a wonderful difference with the mesh screen and a good fan!

Have a good one patonb!

Soar

Cheers!

patonb,

oooohhhhh! I see...

That shipping is very steep....more than double the price for the component itself!

Well, I hope you can find a way to get it to Canada without paying an arm and a leg.

I believe you'll see a wonderful difference with the mesh screen and a good fan!

Have a good one patonb!

Soar

Cheers!
He doesn't need a mesh screen. Just needs to replace those crap Corsair 200mm fans.

The biggest issue is Corsair has that stupid 20mm fan. I looked last year and there was no solution without moving/modding the HD Cages, as all 20mm fans were only 50cfm.

But it now seems those Bitfenix Pros can actually squeeze in and are 147cfm. So it looks like I will be getting a new fan.

Back
Top Bottom