Building a liquid cooling loop! Need help deciding which parts for my GPU!

theredmatter1

Baseband Member
I want to liquid cool, both my GPU and CPU with one loop. I have the NZXT 410 Phantom case, and it is pretty roomy. I want to know if water blocks are universal, or what should I consider buying etc etc. Im not a novice to putting it together, I just dont know which parts to buy! Help me out and EVERY tip possible would be appreciated!

Need to know what parts we are dealing with here. As in what CPU, board, and GPU. Also, you'll need a rad, pump, and res, as well as barbs for each part and tubing. This all will cost you a few hundred, just so you know.

I have the biostar ta970 amd3+ mobo phenom iix4 965 black edition. And pony geforce gtx 660 non to board. And yeah I know it will cost that much. I just need a list of all the parts.

Do you plan on high OCs? That case doesn't have much room for a proper amount of rads. Here is a start.
EK-Supreme LTX AMD - Acetal + Nickel CSQ Products Model: EK-SUPREME-LTX-AMD-CSQ-NA [EK-SUPREME-LTX-AMD-CSQ-NA] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
EK-FC660 GTX - Nickel Products Model: EK-FC660GTX-NP [EK-FC660GTX-NP] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Tick the option on the bottom for 1/2" barb or 3/8". Whatever you chose you need to do that for all and chose that size tube.

You then have an option for either type of rad.

XSPC AX240 Dual-Fan Radiator - Black Products Model: XSPC-AX240-BK [XSPC-AX240-BK] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 280mm Products Model: AC-14190 [AC-14190] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Here is the pump I'm using. I would not use it for high end sophisticated loops, but for a small CPU/GPU loop it does well.
Phobya DC12-400 12Volt Pump Products Model: PH-49071 [PH-49071] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Take your pick on what type of res you want. Over the top FrozenQ type, or a small single 5.25 bay res, or even a Swiftech mini like I have. Just make sure it's a single loop res, not a pump res, and don't forget the barbs.
Reservoirs : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

That's basically all you need. Make sure at the bottom of each part to select the type of barb you want, and if you go with 3/8" you can buy tube at Lowes, or you can buy any type of tube off that website. Don't forget fans, and you can use simple distilled water inside it.

I dont plan on overclocking at all actually, the CPU stays at 32* C all the time on all 4 cores, im mostly trying to keep my GPU cool at stock settings. But if I can keep it way cooler then normal that will make me happy. eventually i might overclock the GPU once i learn how to do so properly but for now i still just want to keep my stuff super cool so it stays alive and doesnt ie on me sooner.

If you don't OC the stock cooling is more than efficient enough to keep your parts lasting years upon years. You don't need a full blown water cooling loop to attain 5-10 years minimum worth of hardware lifespan. I have hardware from the early 90's that still work, have been overclocked like mad, and have the stock little bitty heatsinks on them.

Water cooling isn't worth it except if you're trying get high overclocks, or your case is too noisy for you.

No. 80c is hot. My cards get up to 90c if I don't put on a custom fan ramp profile, and that's stock. The 600 series seriously runs a LOT cooler than previous gens.

A GPU starts throttling at 105c to give you any indication that 60c is not hot on full load.

Okay! O: Thanks man! Either way since im a worry freak, I am still probably going to get a liquid cooling unit any ways. Just because I also dont like the fan noise and it looks cool with dyed liquid glowing red *_*

Back
Top Bottom