finally looking to build a new rig

ive been running prime95 for over a hour now and it seems to be doing ok so far with it at 1280mhz stock timing and volts

Anything slower than 1333 shouldn't need anymore more volts and stock timings are ok. It's only when you go over 1333 that you need more volts and looser timings.

i would really look at your temps or a bottle neck somewhere because even when my Q6600 in my media server was not overclocked, i could easily Max out Mass Effect 3, Saints row 3, Need for speed most wanted, all without a problem!

i would really look at your temps or a bottle neck somewhere because even when my Q6600 in my media server was not overclocked, i could easily Max out Mass Effect 3, Saints row 3, Need for speed most wanted, all without a problem!
Yea but his GPU is a 6770. Can't really push much. A 5850 and my fiance's Q8200 can play most all games rather easily. All in the GPU though.

well after lots of reading I think I wont just upgrade my system and ill shoot for a complete new one

now after more reading I got the sense that getting a unlocked cpu is more "future proof" now I know there's really no such thing when it comes to pc's but I didn't know what other words to use lol

now with that said ive been surfing newegg for a few hours and put this together

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com

PS - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

GPU - EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Latch Side Panel w/ 2 x 200mm Fan Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

cooler - CORSAIR Hydro series H50 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

Thermal paste - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Newegg.com

$1031.14 now of course this is 130 bucks over my first budget. but now that my current pc can OC and be stable I bet I could squeeze my friend for another $50 and im sure I can find the rest somewhere

that fact that I want this for gaming I do understand there fat on this build I could trim for a better gpu BUT I guess my thinking is get everything else nice then upgrade just the gpu much later down the road

or is my thinking flawed? tho this would be a huge step up from my current system right

and on a side note I love the look of that case lol

Last edited:
Drop the cooler for now and use the stock cooling until you wanna OC. You don't need to OC The cpu in most games right now, except in CPU hungry stuff, like StarCraft 2 and 64-player BF3 Multiplayer maps. For now tho, it's better to buy a good GPU than OC your CPU right away.
If you're not gonna SLI in the future then a Seasonic M12II 520W will be more than fine. EDIT : The difference is 10$ only between 520W and 620W so keep the 620W, more headroom is nice.
If the looks of that case aren't that important you can go cheaper on the case, something like Corsair 300R should do the job.

Last edited:
Yea, you won't need to OC for quite a while. Can't stress enough, you want more and more GPU.

If you absolutely want a new rig then you can always get an i3 3220, the ASRock Extreme 3 instead, no H50, and a 660ti. You will still have better gaming performance due to the i3's cores being much faster individually and you can get a good deal on a 3570k when Haswell comes out in June. If you put the i3 up for 80 bucks or so it will sell rather quickly and you're not down much money. That way there, you have a better GPU up front and still have a fast rig to game on the next couple of months.

Also, go with the Corsair SSD I linked instead. It's faster, won't die on you, and has a longer warranty.

Back
Top Bottom