finally looking to build a new rig

ive tried overclocking a few times my system seems to hate it

thanks your your help btw =)

Last edited:
nah its never been heat last time ive tried was over a year ago but when I first got my current mobo I had it stable at 3.0ghz for along time. then my system started acting weird not wanting to wake up from sleep sometimes and some on restarting it would boot cycle think I got 1 BSOD. sometimes my mobo would make weird beeps on start up. cant remember all the specifics. tho I do remember I could never get it over 3.0ghz If I put it to 3.01ghz unstable

What did you have the voltage set to? My Q8200 is sitting in the big brother of your board, except it's the DDR2 version. I had to have over 1.3v to achieve 3GHz and under an H50 heat was an issue (loading around 78c). If you have the stock cooler on your CPU I can guarantee you that heat is an issue. If you are running stock voltages then that is why it wont go over 3GHz.

i tried monkeying with the volts alittle once but i realy didn't know what the hell i was doing so i stayed away but i was fine at 3.0ghz for a year+ without touching them till my random problems showed there head

my cooling XIGMATEK Durin D982 92mm Rifle Ultra Low profile CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

then my case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
and i added the two door fans

if memory serves when i stress tested it at 3.0ghz it never got over 60c when i ran it overnight with that program its name eludes me

Last edited:
Yea, not stock cooling. So you're good there to an extent. Not exactly that great for any kind of OC. BSOD issues could have been your install or simply needing some extra volts. A 3GHz overclock isn't much so a .1v or .2v raise could have done the trick for you.

just tried again for the hell of it. put it at 3.20ghz and added .80000 to the vcore to make it 1.3v just boot cycled 4 times then went back to the bios and said unstable settings or whatever it said lol

That is why.
3 problems there:
First being, you said your RAM is 1333. You need to make it run at 1333 or lower.
Second, your CPU has an FSB of 1333 and even though it is capable of running higher RAM speeds your RAM is pretty much limited to 1333 only.
Third, when you raise the FSB to overclock the CPU it raises the RAM speed too. You need to lower the RAM speed to something lower like 1066 so when you raise the FSB your RAM does not exceed 1333.

1.3v for that CPU should get you somewhere around 3.2-3.4GHz. Lower your RAM speed when you overclock the CPU and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom