Internet connection issues

fernandosaez

Solid State Member
Hello all I hope you guys can help.

I have the motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

The issue is that I bought an PCI wireless card and when I try to find wireless connections I barely get any options. I grabbed my pc and put it right next to the router and I could find the connection but it only gave me 3 bars.

Next I tried another wireless device but this time through usb. This one would find the wireless connection but only for moments, and it also would display barely any connections.

I live in an apartment with 10 apartments per floor, so instead of just one or two there should be 20 or more!

I tried to connect directly with the cable and it never took. Anyone know what I could or what it may be?

I bought the motherboard in the US and I live in Chile. I hope it isn't that :(

Thanks!

I've never heard of anyone using a US (intended) motherboard with a foreign power supply. I can't even imagine the problems that might cause.

But both of your problems sound like a lack of power to the required components. Can you go into your BIOS and check the voltages of the power supply to make sure they're at the levels they should be?

Wireless antenna requires power to work. Too little power and the antenna works less efficiently (ie-Barely picking up signals that are right next to it, and not picking up signals that are far away at all.)

Last edited:
All motherboards world-wide for the most part follow the typical standards... Just because a board was intended for sale in the states doesn't mean that it's some special thing that the rest of the world can't use. I once had a motherboard from newegg that was intended for sale in france, only difference was the first language in the manual, everything else for the most part was the exact same (some silk-screened writing on the motherboard was french instead of english).

But, what would help is if OP listed all the specs of his machine, including the OS.

PSU/CPU/RAM/Network cards used/Operating system...

I've never heard of anyone using a US (intended) motherboard with a foreign power supply. I can't even imagine the problems that might cause.

But both of your problems sound like a lack of power to the required components

In today's world, MOST modern power supplies will automatically switch between 240v and 120v, 60hz and 50hz. If not, you can switch them with a small slider switch that's usually on the back of the psu. After all, it wouldn't make sense for big companies like corsair, rosewill, Antec... to only make a power supply that would work on 120v. 120 volts is like the non metric system, inefficient, out of date, and almost exclusively used in america! :p

to me, this sound like a Classic Networking issue. I need to know the EXACT model of your wireless router and your PCI + USB Networking adapters.

99% of the time, when these issues pop up its going to be caused by conflicting wireless standards and out of date protocols. For example Type B/G/N/AC Speed standards, countless security protocols, 5Ghz vs 2.4ghz.

Let us know and we can help further. :)

-Murphy

I certainly don't think this is an electric power issue at all.

it is most likely that either the PC is in a bad location for detecting wifi signals or the router is not providing a good signal

Try changing the wireless channel on the router and see if you can set it to be N, and set a Static IP on the PC

Thank you so much for your help.

I also doubt it's the power supply since I game with the computer and I don't even see a hick up.

I entered the bios but could not figure out what I could change to help. I'm not an expert to be honest.

Here are the details of my pc starting with the network devises. The weirdest thing is why did it not connect when I connected the computer directly?

Connections that I tried. The PCI is the one I want to work. It is brand new.

PCI: D-link DWA-547 Rangebooster N650 Desktop Adapter

USB: D-Link DWL-G1222 H.W Ver: C1

Windows 7

1 x OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 ...

1 x AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.9GHz/4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor with Liquid Cooling ...

1 x EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 ...

1 x GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-

1 x Intel 330 Series SSDSC2CT240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I also have an old hardrive from a laptop, I connected this before the issue started so I'm sure it isn't causing it.

THANK YOU ALL!

What brand/model router? Also, it is possible there is too many 2.4Ghz devices trying to talk in the same area as your devices are, you may have to change what channel your router is broadcasting on to get a half-decent signal.

Back
Top Bottom