[Project Log] Haf XB Codenamed "Harley"

ok, so i didnt win the lottery tonight, but i did win the 2 dollar prize :D

here goes, prepped case for hardware install
1-3_zpsd87bf4fa.png

dont laugh at my temp feet !!! the real ones will get installed next time i get home :D

1st thing to do was the easiest thing, install my front panel fan filter behind the fans
2-1_zps61ec6782.png

I then installed the SSD and HDD, no photos as they cant be seen from outside anyways.
next was to slap in the PSU, ......I am not liking the single braided cables, they are a real pain in the ass due to stiffness, but anyhoot, what can i do.
3-1_zps771bd47d.png

next up was to lay down the motherboard tray with the mobo in it, and connect the 24 and 8 pins
4-1_zps073944a4.png

my workstation for the night:
5-1_zps90578d25.png

next was to apply some thermal paste, i used:
6-1_zps37a6aba8.png

(had to take that gunk off the x60 that was preinstalled)
my grain of rice
7_zps0ec2cbf5.png

release tha kraken!
10_zpsaf5cdee1.png

release tha titan!
8_zpsf408513c.png

:)

9_zps4b50de39.png

got to get those wires managed when i get back

and more misc pics
11_zpscc5954fc.png

12_zpsfba154e9.png

13_zps583e62a2.png

14_zps6115e079.png

15_zps2573d070.png

16_zpsa6bd0105.png

17_zps1973fd2c.png

18_zps0a1c7da6.png

19_zps006e19f4.png

also, got a short vid of the front panel in motion
http://youtu.be/Vao8vqiZXlM

was unable to get windows installed tonight, was having troubles with my external br driver, may need to figure out a different approach to that one.

anyhoot, will have more photos of this finished case mod when I return in about 2 weeks, will also try and get some benchmarks in if possible.

enjoy!

Use a flash drive to install. Much easier.
The only thing I don't like about this board is the 8 pin location. I actually emailed them on that one saying it's a terrible place.

Speaking of terrible pin placements, I had an old LGA 775 motherboard where the 24 pin connector was right in the middle of the board, not on the right edge. Odd.

I'm really liking the orange and black. Looks good :thumbsup:

Ouch, in the middle? That would suck! I would like to see some boards with the connectors on the flip side, of course that would make case makers rethink the tray.

Yea, it's right above the VRM heatsink. I'm talking about our board, the Extreme 6 lol. Not sure if you realized we have the same board.
It needs to be closer to the I/O because most holes in the cases for that cable are in that area. The 8 pin totally blocks my rad/fans for my water cooling.

Yea, it's right above the VRM heatsink. I'm talking about our board, the Extreme 6 lol. Not sure if you realized we have the same board.
It needs to be closer to the I/O because most holes in the cases for that cable are in that area. The 8 pin totally blocks my rad/fans for my water cooling.

My reply was to ifraggles comment :d

Ah, didn't notice you had same board, I do like the bios interface.

Any tips on the board?

I totally forgot he posted. I should really sleep more.

Don't use the 4pin molex in the center. It doesn't help at all. Make sure your SSD is plugged in to the first gray header (closest to black) so you can boot into Windows with AHCI without an AHCI bios screen.
Your right set of sticks need to move over 1 slot as well. Should be like this for proper quad channel.

|||| ||||

I actually don't mind the 8 pin placement with this case, I kinda wish the 24 pin was up there also, with mobo laying flat, that putts them off to the blind side.

As it is now, the 24 pin cables are hovering over my rad fans underneath some.

Yea that's understandable. In my case, it's a terrible placement. Most stand up ATX/ect cases will have this problem with clearance on top. Just look at how I had to route my cable around my fans.

DSCN2445.jpg

Back
Top Bottom