Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Upgarde my i7 920?

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
PP Mguire
Build Guru
Default Re: Upgarde my i7 920?

Which SSD do you own?

SATA3 bus only grants raw transfer speeds over SATA2. The biggest performance differences between SATA2 SSDs and SATA3 SSDs are IOPS. The bus doesn't limit IOPS speed on the drive itself so system responsiveness should be around the same, granted you both have comparable SSDs, both using the same OS, and both on a fresh install. My boot time going from the Vertex 2 to the Neutron GTX only dropped by about 1.5 seconds (AHCI screen on i5 board) but actual system responsiveness between the GTX on my 3960x rig and my Vertex 2 on my i5 750 feels absolutely the same within Windows.

I suppose the only other thing that could be making a good difference is just IPC, but that really wont make a huge difference just dicking around in Windows.

Edit: I should mention, that if you do any actual productive type stuff on your PC then the upgrade is worth it if you are switching to the 3570k or 3770k. If you just game on your PC then it's not worth it at all. Just try to remember that a newer PC should at least feel a little faster in comparison. If it didn't, it wouldn't be worth it to upgrade at all for anything.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.