Screenshot Tutorial

I use Google Chrome and the screen capture addon (made by Google themselves) as well as the Windows 7 Snipping Tool built into the OS.

Taking A screen shot in Origin, without the print screen button:

All you have to do is add Origin to Steam as a non-steam game! Just make sure you're logged out of Origin when you do. Then, launch Origin from Steam, and it'll pull Origin up like normal, launch whatever game, and now you can get the Steam overlay on your Origin games! Complete with the ability to hit F12 to take a screenshot. The only downside to this is that it'll save the screenshot in your steam files with Origin as the "game". So for instance, your Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 screenshots are gonna be jumbled together in the same folder. Also, make sure you have your Origin overlay isn't the same buttons as the Steam one. If they are, you'll pull up both simultaneously with Origin on top and you won't be able to select the Steam one.

Alternately
You can add each game into Steam individually if you wish, but it will still launch Origin and make you log in when you launch said game. And, you will be able to access both overlays with above mentioned kinks. However, it will save your each game's screenshots in their own folders. Personal preference I guess.

Last edited:
I'm wandering around here, in threads that seem to have no appeal to me, and learn something new every day. More than two years and a couple of hundred Win7 machines behind me, and never once used SNIPPING TOOL. Du-uh. So nice. Thanks! (I'd always told clients to tap their PRINT SCREEN, pull up PAINT and CTRL-V in to save the image, and email it to me.) Snipping Tool, it is!

I'm wandering around here, in threads that seem to have no appeal to me, and learn something new every day. More than two years and a couple of hundred Win7 machines behind me, and never once used SNIPPING TOOL. Du-uh. So nice. Thanks! (I'd always told clients to tap their PRINT SCREEN, pull up PAINT and CTRL-V in to save the image, and email it to me.) Snipping Tool, it is!

My wife swears by SnagIt, but it is not free. Great tool, though.

Years and years of computing and I still use paint.

I usually stuff a PAINT shortcut somewhere (Task Bar, QuickLaunch) just for this "screen cap" eventuality. "My screen says THIS..." and I'm thinking, "No, no way... impossible..." and the Screen Cap says it all. "OK, tap the PRINT SCREEN key... upper right area on your keyboard. Now open PAINT - lower middle of your taskbar... now CTRL V. Now save it and send it..."

Quick and easy. Of course, sending users from Keyboard to Screen regions often seems like trips around the world in degrees of difficulty. I'm glad the East German judges don't rate some of my clients.

iFargle: the command is CMD+SHIFT+4 to take a screenshot on the Mac, at least for my MacBookPro it is that.

Related to this thread, there is a webservice that allows paste from your clipboard to the web and automatically uploads the img to dropbox or imgur. I think it's called onpaste.com, I use it a lot.

Back in school I made a C# program very quickly that would transform the PRINT SCREEN button to an automatic yfrog image upload. It was neat, but they changed their API and I never maintained the code. Since then I found this onpaste site and I have used that ever since.

Back
Top Bottom