i7 870 vs Radeon 6950

pernice_brother

Beta member
Hi All

I'm not very tech-savvy so would appreciate a bit of help. My PC uses an i7 870 along with an AMD Radeon 6950hd 2gb graphics card and 8gb of RAM. Nothing is overclocked and I don't intend to go down this route.

Up until now I've generally been able to play most games at pretty much maximum settings. However, I've just downloaded 'Batman: Arkham City' from Steam and this is the first game I've played where there is noticable slow-down when there is a lot happening on-screen.

My question is this: what is most likely to be causing this slow-down? The processor or the graphics card? Is there a rule of thumb I can apply to work out if it's time to upgrade my graphics card or if it's time to upgrade my processor?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Paul.

Thanks. In the future, if I have problems running games on max settings, is there a way of telling if it's the CPU or GPU?

You have a quad with HT, it'll be a while before your CPU is a problem. If you turn HT off in the bios and your CPU is at 100% on all 4 cores then you have a problem. There are only two games I can think of that actually do this.

I know you said you don't intend on overclocking, but overclocking that gen of CPU actually has very good gains. Before I got my replacement board for the rig in my sig I was using my old standby which is an i5 750. Stock it did fine, but at 3.8GHz I actually got a nice boost while overclocking my GPU.

Back
Top Bottom