First time builder of a new rig. Need advice.

DALEthe1C3M4N

Beta member
I am working on making the plunge to building my first gaming desktop. I'm a heavy gamer but i have never owned a gaming computer due to the price. I have been saving money currently and was working on putting something together. I'm not real intimidated about the assembly, but choosing the correct parts and being satisfied with my choices has left me a little unsure. It sounds like you guys have a large amount of knowledge and could facilitate this process. My price range isn't set in stone right now, but i am aiming for something below $1,750. I have already assembled a short list of some of the components i have been looking at if it will be of any use.

Case- COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Harddrive- Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Monitor- ASUS VS239H-P Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1, IPS Panel - Newegg.com

Graphics Card- ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Power Supply- Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

RAM- G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model F3-2666C11D-8GTXD - Newegg.com

Motherboard- ASUS P8Z77-V LK ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

Processor- Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

Although i have this list its not final. If you guys have any better ideas that would be more suitable then i am all ears. If you know how to save me a few bucks i am willing to change parts. But i really need something that is gonna play elderscrolls, WoW, LoL, Diablo III, and other mainstream games that could come in the future. I know i'm kinda new to this computer business but i would be interested in overclocking, and have future plans to upgrade to a triple monitor set up so this is kinda my pre-build for that. So if this pre-build could be compatible with that idea it would be greatly appreciated. and if there are any other major parts that have slipped my mind please feel free to let me know so i don't forget about it. All your help is appreciated in advance.

Alright time to change some things up.

Motherboard, CPU, case, and monitor are good.

Don't get that HDD. Velociraptors are slower than an SSD, and not much faster than a standard HDD. Get an SSD/HDD setup. 120 or 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD for storage.
I would get a 120GB Corsair ForceGT, Neutron GTX, Force GS, or Samsung 840pro and back it up with a Seagate 1TB Barracuda.

Get a standard 1600MHz 8GB set of RAM. You don't need anything higher than that for any rig. Anything above 1866 is aimed for benchmarkers who put their CPU and GPUs under subzero temps.

On to the PSU. 850w is way too much for a single card setup. Actually, I recommend getting the Corsair HX750 instead as it is modular, gold rated, and will handle even SLI 680s.

Finally, with a budget like that you want a better video card. All games are pretty much all GPU dependent. If you want to go triple screen you will also want more horsepower. I suggest getting this.
EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

You will need the extra VRAM for 2D Surround (three screen gaming) and future games. Just as a hint, Surround sucks BTW. I played a wide array of games just last night on Surround and it's pretty retarded IMO. Diablo 3 looked stupid as you could see certain things pop up on the outer screens because they didn't program it for Surround gaming. By things I mean enemies and textures.

For overclocking on the 3570k you will want to start out with something like an H80i or equivalent to make sure your CPU stays cool if you accidentally set too many volts or set it too high.

No reason for HT in games, and he wants to go triple screen so he will need to start with a 4GB 680 and add another one later which will require a 750w PSU.

Yea I played 2D Surround with my setup, and my friend with the exact card I linked did the same right behind me (LAN). Besides the annoyances of Surround I didn't do too bad but on games like Crysis 3 and Skyrim you could tell my VRAM was really killing me. He didn't have enough raw GPU power for all 3 screens and maxed. Arma 2 was giving him problems and so was Crysis 3. Now that I have first hand experience with it besides at conventions and friends places I can thoroughly reply on what is required.

Edit: I want to iterate that the X650 Gold linked would power up SLI 680s and a 3570k just fine, but he wants to OC so have to take into consideration the extra power requirements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom