Really annoying heat sink.

Inkerlink

Solid State Member
So I am working on this custom build for a customer and the power supply and hard drive need to be replaced. But holy crap does this thing have a huge heat sink, and it is right in the way of removing the power supply. Normally removing heat sinks isn't an issue but this one seems to be really stubborn and I'm not certain I am trying to unscrew the right screws? Just wanted to get some people's opinions and ideas to help remove this sucker. Pictures included~

Attachments

• 2013-03-24 13.56.27.jpg
    2013-03-24 13.56.27.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013-03-24 13.56.44.jpg
    2013-03-24 13.56.44.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2013-03-24 13.57.24.jpg
    2013-03-24 13.57.24.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 8
Is there a make and/or model listed on the heat sink? That definitely looks like an aftermarket heat sink, and depending the speed/power of the CPU, most likely unnecessary to have one that bulky.

Edit: Also, check the back side of the motherboard. I can almost guarantee with a heat sink that size that there is a back plate holding that heat sink in place on back of the motherboard.

The heatsink is called the Coolermaster GeminII and not only are they annoying, they are very prone to breaking the traces within a motherboard. Because of how much they weigh, even with the rear bracket, it was just too heavy!

The bottom 4 screws you took a picture of should be the ones to remove it. its that or you'll need to remove the motherboard to get it out! I would get that cooler out anyway though, get something like the Arctic Freezer, its only like 29 bucks and is very good for the price!

Anymore questions, just ask! :)

-Murphy

You might as well remove the motherboard from the case and replace the PSU... May also want to consider re-applying thermal paste as I am sure you have broken the bond between the heatsink and CPU trying to get the heatsink out of the way.

Well, it took much blood, sweat and tears but I managed to get the new PSU and HDD in thanks to your suggestions to remove the whole mobo. That heat sink reminds me of those hot rod cars with huge chrome engine stacks coming out of a square hole in the hood xD.

Back
Top Bottom