CPU question

Yevrag35

Pushing Daisies on Saturn
Every now and then I actually leave my computer desk and become a productive member of society (that's up for debate though). During this time, instead of shutting my desktop off, I just turn off the monitor and speakers, and then I'm on my way. I don't let the computer sleep or hibernate. I've had too many problems with computers coming out of hibernation or sleep-mode, and then have to restart the computer anyway to correct them.

I was going to create a power plan that I can just switch to when I wanna leave for a little while, but I had a question in regards to the CPU itself. When doing my normal work and games, the CPU is not allowed to speedstep down to lower frequencies. But would it be alright to lower the maximum percentage of the processor speed down to,, let's say, 25% and a minimum of 5%?

My other question is "is it the reduced amount of voltage that brings the speed of the CPU down to only 25% of its maximum, or is it something else? And if it is voltage, would it be okay for the processor to be under-powered for hours if it isn't under any load at all?"

"is it the reduced amount of voltage that brings the speed of the CPU down to only 25% of its maximum, or is it something else?

Yes, the hertz (Gigaherz, etc.) corresponds to high and low voltage waves. Lots of info. on Wikipedia.

And if it is voltage, would it be okay for the processor to be under-powered for hours if it isn't under any load at all?"

You have an expensive system- you should power it down completely when not using it. There's always wear and tear on electronics. With budget PCs it doesn't matter so much.

Some of the more experienced members may disagree, and this response is partly a bump as I'm curious to see their take on this.

Back
Top Bottom