Low budget computer, help please?

OhPotato

Baseband Member
Ahoy there!

Please excuse my noobyness. I've been learning about how to build computers, and whilst my current Laptop is un-salvageable I thought.. Why not! I'm British, and I only really have around £500 To spend, perhaps £550. At a stretch maybe £575. I'd like my computer to include a Solid State Drive because in all honesty, I have as much patience as a 'Murican at McDonald's. < (Please don't take offense, I know it's an offensive "Joke" However if anything I'm a Patriot for the US, if that's possible.. Plus my beautiful Girlfriend is actually American, and I plan to move there! Not that that's relevant.. The more worrying thing though is that the spell check for 'Murican was American >_>) Here's what I have chosen so far, please feel free to take out parts and replace e.t.c:

The computers use: I don't really play games.. I surf the web, online shop, watch a couple movies, fart around on YouTube.. (Usually with at least 7 other Google Chrome Tabs open at once, so I'd like it if I could have all those Tabs open and still be able to perform seamlessly) And I'd like to be able to watch videos/movies on 1080p HD. (I have 30Mb VirginMedia Unlimited Fiber Optic Broadband)

Processor: Intel i3 2120 / Intel i3 3330 / AMD A10-5800K / AMD FX-4300/4170/6200/6300 (FX Series arranged by price)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Intel B75
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 500W
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7770 - 1GB / GeForce GTX 650 SC - 1GB
RAM: Corsair Memory Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black 8GB / Corsair XMS3 8GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1 TB
Solid State Drive: Intel 60GB 330 Series
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200r

I don't need an Operating System. I think that's a little over the amount I'm wanting to spend, but right now I'd just like a rough idea of the PC I could get for that amount of money.

Thank you very much for reading my thread, and thanks a bunch in advance for helping me, have a good day/night everyone.

Last edited:
i3 3330, ditch the GPU, and get a 120GB Samsung 840pro or Corsair Neutron (Neutron GTX, Force GT, Force GS) and you're good to go. If you don't game you don't need the GPU.

The IGP is capable enough to play 1080p easy.

The Intel is faster at general computing, nothing more to say really. If you absolutely wanted to go AMD then the 5800k would be the clear winner as it has a GPU built in. You would then need to buy an FM2 motherboard and I suggest a more expensive one for more features. That would put the budget over the Intel build. The only advantage the 5800k has is it's an APU so it has better built in graphics (Radeon 7660d) but either IGP can handle 1080p easy.

I have another question. How come NVIDIA Tesla and Quadro serious graphics cards are so expensive? For example, a 5GB PNY Tesla K20 is neigh on £3000, and a PNY Quadro 6000 SDI costs just shy of £8500.. That's not even their most expensive though, a 12GB Quadro Plex 7000 is just a little over £13k. And there was me thinking a GeForce GTX 690 was so expensive..

Edit post: Forget the above post. For multiple web tabs open at once, normally three/four of those being 1080p HD videos, would I be better of with a high cored AMD Processor or an Intel Dual Core i3? Thankyou.

Last edited:
i3 or 5800k would be fine. Whatever you want to buy.

Those cards you speak of are professional workstation cards. They are meant to do high priority calculations/rendering/whatever. Tesla K20 powers one of the worlds super computers called Titan if that gives you any idea. The same applies for the AMD Firepro cards.

+1 Wendy's for days.

I have another question if that's okay. Does anybody know the capabilities of an AMD 1GB 7750 and a 2GB EVGA GTX 640, and which one would be better for me? (They're both within £5 of each other)

Back
Top Bottom