CPU Heatsink lga775

Lunaz

Beta member
hi fellow techies, i still got a stock intel heat sink on my q6600 quad core, and its starting to fail and i would like something new that can diffuse the heat better so i can OC to 3.0gh. so what im looking for is something in the 20-25$ range that will fit LGA socket 775, also my MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard.
Thank you
Lunaz

If you come across a used Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, I would recommend that...I've been using mine for years and it's great. Brand new it was around 40, but you can't really find them new anymore.

3Ghz clock will need to dissipate a ton of heat. My Q8200 runs in the 70s with an H50 so he needs something high end. Mega, TRUE, H series or equivalent.

Personally, I own two servers that run Q6600s actually. Still a damn good cpu! :D

It is very important however that we know if you have the G0 stepping or the B3!

Both the B3 and the G0 are great overclockers but the B3 gets WAYYY hotter, even at stock speeds(The b3 was the version before G0)

To tell you can use CPU-Z

For either Versions i would say that these are likely the best solution for your problem
ARCTIC Freezer - Newegg

It is very important however that we know if you have the G0 stepping or the B3!

Both the B3 and the G0 are great overclockers but the B3 gets WAYYY hotter, even at stock speeds(The b3 was the version before G0)

Ooo, good call. I forgot all about the steppings on those.

Ooo, good call. I forgot all about the steppings on those.

Heh, the good 'ol days.

Like Hikari said, the CoreContact will be a good one. I remember the Xigmatek Rifle S1280 being a good one as well (I have one on my e6750 and it kept it nice and cool).

Heh, the good 'ol days.

Like Hikari said, the CoreContact will be a good one. I remember the Xigmatek Rifle S1280 being a good one as well (I have one on my e6750 and it kept it nice and cool).

Rifle was good for sure. PP brings up a good point with the overclocking and the heat, but if he has the right stepping, I think a HSF should be sufficient.

Well I said something because my Q8200 is a newer 45nm chip. It is supposed to run cooler but I guess Core i did a world of good in the heat and power consumption area or I'm not used to it. I have to say, my 955 @ 4Ghz ran cooler than this Q8200 clocked at 3. I can only guess the Q6600 will run hotter regardless of stepping. IIRC the stepping only gave you a better idea of how high it could clock and the G0 stepping got people the further. Wont change how much heat it puts out in the end. I think either way would be fine, but if he doesn't like a warm running chip he should put a bit more cash into an AIO.

Like I said, my Q8200 runs in the 70s with an H50.

thanks for the fast replies again
i have G0 according to core temp
also that ARCTIC freezer heat sink looks good as long as it fits 775 socket ok, a common thing i keep seeing on the multi socket fans is difficulty installing on 775 boards
also slightly off topic i also would like to up my ram from 4gb to 6 easy to do but i use gskill with a timing of 5-5-5-15 and most use 4-4-4-12 and so on are they um mixable?

Back
Top Bottom