Trying to open my router ports for xbox live NAT issues.

tombot5000

Beta member
Hi all,

BACKGROUND:
So I have had a moderate NAT while gaming on Xbox Live. From what I understand, opening the ports on my router will better enable my network hardware to communicate with Xbox live servers, changing my NAT to open, and thus allowing me to connect to my best friends party so we can play team doubles on Halo 4! :D

CURRENTLY:
Anyway... I have tried opening the ports by accessing my router by typing its IP address into the URL. When I do this however, I receive an error message saying "this webpage is unavailable." I have tried this with both the Default Gateway and the IPv4 Address to no avail.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
C:\Users\TomBot500>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2a:b84b:1e23:6a9%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.32
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

MORE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Also, I want to note that the router I am currently using is a DELL TrueMobile 2300 Model: WX-5565D

WHAT THE INDIAN DELL GUY SAID:
Moreover, I called DELL technical support for help on the issue and they told me that the router I was using is approx. 9 years old (about 2,518 in technology years).

SO BASICALLY:
With that said I am left to assume that maybe, just maybe, the operations I am trying to perform on my router are too "new school" for its liking. Any sort of confirmation on my current assumption would be helpful. Also, any more information, or guidelines, on how to open the ports on my router would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Tom

So you've tried typing 192.168.2.1 into your browser's address bar, and you get "cannot display webpage"?
Try resetting your internet browser's settings, then try it again.
Or type in http://my.router in the address bar.

Ahhh yes! The good old http://my.router technique! It just brings a smile to face thinking back to my earlier years of when that used to work. Unfortunately for me, that trick didn't seem to work... even though that's what the information on the bottom of the router told me to put in my URL to access its settings.

I didn't reset my browser settings because I restored my computer to factory setting a little over 6 hours ago, and google chrome and internet explorer are as new as the 2013 Nissan sitting in my neighbors driveway. :)

Do you know of any more options I can try? Or am I SOL?

Ahhh yes! The good old http://my.router technique! It just brings a smile to face thinking back to my earlier years of when that used to work. Unfortunately for me, that trick didn't seem to work... even though that's what the information on the bottom of the router told me to put in my URL to access its settings.

I didn't reset my browser settings because I restored my computer to factory setting a little over 6 hours ago, and google chrome and internet explorer are as new as the 2013 Nissan sitting in my neighbors driveway. :)

Do you know of any more options I can try? Or am I SOL?
What version of IE are you using?
Also, test to see if you can ping 192.168.2.1 from your computer

Currently I'm running IE 9.0. And the Ping test showed the following...

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 3ms

ALAS!!! I have now attempted the same procedure with my Ethernet cable protruding from my router into my laptop and the ping test now shows.

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Houston, we have a problem. :omg:

ALAS!!! I have now attempted the same procedure with my Ethernet cable protruding from my router into my laptop and the ping test now shows.

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Houston, we have a problem. :omg:
What is the ipconfig info when you plug it in directly?

I assume that you have already tried different browsers without any success. What's the make and model of your router? If you're able to access the internet through that router then there is most likely something that's just blocking access to the router's web page - maybe your antivirus or software firewall.

What are your results when pinging www.google.com and 4.2.2.2 ?

What antivirus are you using?

Back
Top Bottom