New Build, Please Evaluate?

shan1784

In Runtime
What is your current water cooling solution? If it's anything custom you'll notice a huge loss in performance by going with an H50. If you plan on doing any kind of serious overclocking on the 3570k (which isn't necessary at all right now) then I suggest migrating your current custom loop over (if you have one), or get something larger like an H100i.

A single 680 will max everything at 1080p to 60fps minus a couple games. Crysis 3 is one of them because @ 8xAA it tears up even a Titan. I strongly suggest going with the 4GB version instead though.

Not a fan of the Kingston SSDs. I would go Samsung 840pro or Corsair instead.
Also switch the Blue to a Black drive.

PSU is way too high. You don't need that amount of wattage for even a SLI setup. You could drop that down to a 750w Corsair HX or Seasonic XGold.

Not a fan of full tower cases because they are highly impractical for most setups, but if you really want something that large go for it.

Yeah, my current machine does have a pretty custom water loop... I was gonna sell it with the current computer not to mention I kinda want move away from this just for the simplicity of it...

I don't think I'll be doing any major overclocking to start with.. Maybe down the road I'll look into overclocking with a custom loop but for now I just want something to manage stock to minor OC temps...

As for the 680, is the 4gb worth the extra $$$ over the 2gb version???

I was thinking of the corsair 750 but went with the higher wattage for future sli setup... I like the full tower just for the added room inside and looks...

I like the idea on the drives and will update that.. Thank you for your input...

Here's a pic of my current machine...
IMG_0131.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you sell on Ebay or find some ignorant person on CL you wont get real (as in worth it) money for a PC with a custom loop. You would be better off putting the stock cooler back on the 295 and putting the H50 on the 930 and selling it that way. Maybe tack on 50 bucks for the 295 block since you can't reuse it. Just my 2 cents, as every local area is radically different on CL it seems.

SLI doesn't need that much wattage. The 600 and upcoming 700 series dramatically improves in power consumption to where dual 680s wont take but 400w tops. A 3570k is a 77w CPU, so that's 470w TDP stock. A 750HX or AX gives a couple hundred watts room left to OC, and has at least 200w overhead on that. Each are also gold rated and modular.

The GTX 680 4GB will be better than the 2GB especially in the future, games are already showing signs they'll need more than 2GB of VRAM.
IDK if that PSU is modular, but I think a Corsair HX850 will be a better idea.

Looking at Newegg I see some deals on the Corsair PSs...

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $135.99/w 20% off code

or

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $119.99/w $20 off code

I'll probably go with one of these... I like the 850 for the little be extra power for future use and for being full modular. The price is $5 more then what I have selected now.

The 750 can be had for $15 cheaper, modular as well (not full but oh well), and will do what I need it to do...

These are the two PSs that were suggested to me in the previous posts... Any reason to go with one over the other than saving $$$?

Unless you ever plan to go Tri-SLI or extreme OC a few years down there isn't a need for the AX850.

Another cheaper full modular option which IMO is better than the HX750 would be this.
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Keep in mind, Corsair sells after market pre-sleeved cables in multiple colors for case color coordination. So if that's a thing for you then I would go Corsair. Even though, I do think those cables would work on the Seasonic PSU line up. Not 100% certain.

Tri-SLI may not be out of the question.. Never have done it but who's to say I wouldn't if I found a good deal down the road on a couple more 680's... That's why I kinda am looking for a little more power...

The Corsair extra sleeves are a big interest to me.. I like tweaking and getting the cable management just right... Where can I find those?

Corsair's website or performace-pcs.com.

Tri-SLI is a pretty big waste of money actually. Too much power consumption with little gain over dual. Only makes a huge difference in benchmarks because they actually take advantage of them. In some cases, more than 2 cards can actually hurt you. For isntance, 3 Titans in Skyrim.

Back
Top Bottom