Coolermaster vs. Generic PSU for budget build

Jake

In Runtime
I'm building an i3 3220 machine, H77 motherboard, radeon 7750.

Just wondering if it's worth spending the extra $30 for a 525W CoolerMaster Extreme power supply or if this wouldn't make much difference over getting a generic 450W ($25) for the kind of rig I want to build. Thanks.

I assume you've read the PSU guide in the section, so my suggestion is spend the extra money and get a better quality product than some generic POS. The PSU is what (basically) drives your system if it goes bad or does not completely power your setup, then it's no good. You will also want to make sure that any PSU you buy has the +12v rail power you need for your GPU.

I would skip CoolerMaster for a PSU. If you need to keep costs down then look at Antec's basic models and FSP Group.

Yes, I read the PSU guide. It says that for my build a 450W would be sufficient. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a PSU go bad on me. I'm currently using the Radeon 7750 in an HP Compaq P4, running 3 monitors with what I believe is a 350W PSU...no issues yet.

You may be right, I just figured that the whole "Extreme" thing was a marketing gimmick and wouldn't be necessary. I'd be paying more than twice the money for an extra 75 watts.

I would skip CoolerMaster for a PSU. If you need to keep costs down then look at Antec's basic models and FSP Group.

I'll look into that, it's just that I don't buy online and the selection in my neck of the woods is limited.

Considering neither will be quality, in that case you are paying for more wattage and a name.

The difference between a quality PSU and non is the parts. Efficiency and overload make a difference, and typically crap units are underrated and can't actually push the amount of watts they are rated for.
A good PSU will hold up for years, will not drop 12v under load, and can actually push more watts than they are rated for. It's not recommended, but it's very possible.
A lower quality PSU will be made of cheap materials that can pop under strain, die for no reason, or not hold up to a mild load for extended periods of time. For instance, I would not try to pull 525w from that Cooler Master for more than 10 minutes or so.
Since the PSU is feeding electricity to very sensitive electronics at all times if it dies it can take your whole computer out at the same time, or if you are playing a game and the 12v voltage drops too low it can fry your video card or CPU.

Hope that gives a little insight to why having a decent PSU makes a big difference.

Since the 7750 only consumes around 45w max you don't have to worry about a high wattage unit as the i3 is only 55w. In theory, a nice 350w unit would be perfectly fine but if you are dropping money on a PSU you might as well make it a little more than you need so you have room to upgrade later on.

If you can afford it, I recommend getting at least this, or a Corsair CX500. Gives you room to breath and you can put something as high as a 660ti or 7870 on it.
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

If you can't afford that, then I would at least get this.
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Avoiding the low-end power-supplies means, for me, avoiding a soon-to-occur reinstallation and spending ALL of the new money for that more expensive 'shoulda bought in first place' power supply.

Think about it like this - "I spend $35 and not $70... but then I have to spend $70 eventually so, instead of $70 originally, I've now spent $105..."

And you've risked other parts AND spent a frustrating time doing the re-install in a now tightly packed case. How do those backs of your knuckles heal up? I'll end up looking like some old boxer in a few more years...

Back
Top Bottom