Cheap sound card vs on board Realtek HD sound?

iCobble

Baseband Member
So I was wondering if I could get some help with this.
At the moment I'm using the on board sound card, Realtek HD, but there's a known bug that causes Battlefield 3 to crash some computers with a buzzing sound when using Realtek HD. Unfortunately my computer is one of these.

I know that sound cards are usually better than on board sound cards, but how about when it's very cheap? The one I'm looking at is only £6, so obviously it's not the best out there to say the least.
( I have a budget of £10 including P&P at the moment)

So my main question is will the sound be at least equal to the on board sound card?
I listen to a lot of music as well as gaming, so I wouldn't want any quality loss, but I'm absolutely fine with the quality of the on board sound card.

This is the one I'm looking at: Xenta 8 Channel Soundcard C-media 8768 Chipset 3D - PCI | Ebuyer.com

I appreciate all feedback, thanks for your help :)

What's your board? Since I sold my X-Fi Titanium back in 09 I have used nothing but onboard and have never heard or experienced this bug. Sounds like a case of drivers and settings to me.

I've never had a card with a C-Media chipset, but my guess is it's going to be budget based like that card. Quality will be on par or lower than onboard.

Hey, my motherboard is an Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX.
Thanks for your help

I had the Biostar P67b which has the exact same onboard audio. I never had any problems with it.

What drivers are you using and what OS? I would try using Windows drivers, or straight from Realtek's site.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
The drivers I use will have been automatically downloaded from Windows, so I'm not really sure specifically what I'm using. (Sorry, not that tech savvy!)

Well easy fix is to buy the sound card. I still think it's fixable, as I head the same audio chip, with a similar setup and did not have any problems.

Is your CPU overclocked at all?

I've installed the new sound card (in the end I went for an even cheaper one: (Xenta 6 channel PCI Soundcard).
The sound is the same if not better than the onboard sound which is brilliant for the price.
Haven't had a chance to play BF3 yet, I'll edit this post once I have. Thanks for your help. :)
Edit: The new sound card has fixed the problem. Completed 3 missions consecutively with no problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom