Upgrading case fans

Dalinkwent726

Baseband Member
I have recently built my first "rig," and when it comes to fans and fan speeds and what is loud or not I don't really know which fan is better. I currently have a Corsair Vengeance C70 with three Cooler Master Sickle Flow's with blue l.e.d's, and since the computer sits right next to me the noise they output is annoying. Also since they are not PWM fans the on-board mobo fan controller is kinda wonky when controlling them.

So I would like to upgrade to Noctuas, but I am not sure which ones are the best, I see many different types and to stop myself from making the same mistake I figured I would ask you guys.

I need them in 120mm, just typical intake and exhaust fans. I plan on getting a fan controller as well. So if anybody has any suggestions on either I would really appreciate it, and if you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my ability, thanks.

You don't need a fan controller with Noctua's as most all of them are practically silent when on full blast.

These are the ones made for cases.

Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Premium Fan - Sleeved Products Model: NF-S12B-FLX [NF-S12B-FLX] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

The other fans are made for CPU coolers and radiators due to higher amounts of static pressure which is what you want in between fins for maximum heat movement.

Edit: Have to mention, I do not have personal experience with these fans as I prefer Scythe fans for my cases. Their P12 is amazing for CPU cooling though.

You don't need a fan controller with Noctua's as most all of them are practically silent when on full blast.

These are the ones made for cases.

Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Premium Fan - Sleeved Products Model: NF-S12B-FLX [NF-S12B-FLX] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

The other fans are made for CPU coolers and radiators due to higher amounts of static pressure which is what you want in between fins for maximum heat movement.

Edit: Have to mention, I do not have personal experience with these fans as I prefer Scythe fans for my cases. Their P12 is amazing for CPU cooling though.
Thanks, so the NF-F12's are made for coolers and radiators as well? Just asking because Newegg says they are case fans.

I trust your judgement and if you have personally used Scythe fans then I will look into them as well (plus I would bet they are a heck of a lot better looking). Could you tell me the one that you would most recommend? I would appreciate the input.

The S12s are case fans, the P12s are made for coolers and rads. Their website says this as well.

Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

I personally used the Scythe Kaze fans in my NZXT and they moved a lot of air. The only problem you might have with them is at full RPM they are loud. (Not as much as the Ultras though)
If I was to go back to my mid tower or another tower with all 120mm fan slots I would be buying some Gentle Typhoons. They make all range RPMs for different target audiences. For instance, I would buy the 5400RPM version use the limiters that came with my Noctua fans instead of using a fan controller.

Take note, that I linked to Performance-PCs vs Newegg. They sleeve your cables for free. Noctua fans come pre-sleeved from the factory but Scythe fans do not.

The S12s are case fans, the P12s are made for coolers and rads. Their website says this as well.

Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

I personally used the Scythe Kaze fans in my NZXT and they moved a lot of air. The only problem you might have with them is at full RPM they are loud. (Not as much as the Ultras though)
If I was to go back to my mid tower or another tower with all 120mm fan slots I would be buying some Gentle Typhoons. They make all range RPMs for different target audiences. For instance, I would buy the 5400RPM version use the limiters that came with my Noctua fans instead of using a fan controller.

Take note, that I linked to Performance-PCs vs Newegg. They sleeve your cables for free. Noctua fans come pre-sleeved from the factory but Scythe fans do not.
Thanks again PP. I will look into the Gentle Typhoons, I have heard good things from other places as well.

Back
Top Bottom