Very frustrated...... cannot get my laptop to boot from USB stick

True Colors

Baseband Member
Hello,

I have a brand new laptop computer. Fresh out of the box. It is a Lenovo Z585. It has Windows 8 installed on it.

I want to install Ubuntu linux operating system onto this computer.

I have already used my partition software to set up a partition where Linux can go.

I used pendrivelinux to install Ubuntu onto a bootable flash drive. Also, I created a CD room with a bootable Ubuntu iso image on it.

I went into the BIOS of the laptop and I set the boot order as flash drive, CD rom, then internal hard drive.

For some reason, when I turn the computer off and turn it back on again hoping for it to boot Linux from the flash drive or the CD, it skips right to the Windows installation on the main C drive.

I have searched and searched and searched........ every article that I have seen online makes it seem like this should be EXTREMELY simple....... they say that "all you have to do is change the order of the boot sequence." Supposedly that is it.

Well..... it is not working.

Help! Please!!

Thanks,

TC

You may have to check in your BIOS again as Microsoft insisted on a system being put in place that protected the boot, and only allows windows to boot
which stops you from being able to dual boot a windows 8 machine.
Look for a setting called "secure boot" (I think) and set it to be disabled.

Thanks for the quick response.

I went back into the BIOS. I did find the "secure boot," but it does not allow me to turn it on or off.

I guess I will research this and hopefully find a solution.

Any other ideas/suggestions are certainly welcome.

TC

Back
Top Bottom