Mobo- Asus P8H61 Le (B3)​
CPU- Quad Core i5 3.10GHz​
RAM- 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB) Corsair & Kingston​
PSU- Thermaltake 550watt (came with V8 case)​
Graphics Card- GeForce GTS450 1GB GDDR5​
HDD- 2TB Samsung, 500GB Samsung​
OS- Windows 8 Pro - Legal (upgraded from windows 7 pro - legal)​

My pain:
Ever since, my first PC (about a year and a half after I build it), it would randomly hang, but mostly just randomly hang/crash with a ear-pinching screech sound from the speakers. Then I would have to pull the power, and re-start. It would do it randomly, alot if I left my PC overnight to do a download / update, but would also do it on login - first time after being off for a number of hours, randomly during coding (websites and eclipse, nothing that could damage the PC), randomly while listening to music, or watching a movie. It would also not do it for a month or two, and then come back. And maybe go for a week or two, then do it 3 times in 20 min. When it hangs or crashes (NEVER a blue screen) the power lights from my keyboard (microsoft x4 sidewinder) and my mouse (microsoft x3 sidewinder) go out, I push them, and the light stays on for 2 seconds or so, and then goes off again.

I took it to different PC shops (Matrix warehouse, Incredible connection, etc) to have it looked at, they ran tests, and came up with nothing each time.\

I have tried upgrading, I first formatted my PC +- 6 times, then I started upgrading piece by piece, Hard drives, OS's (windows and Linux), RAM, MOBO & CPU, PSU, CD drives, cases, screens, you name it, I upgraded it.

But still to this day, after upgrading literally EVERYTHING it still hangs / crashes fairly regularly. I am stumped, and I cannot afford another 8.5k for a decent PC, as I need to do coding, recording for an album, and graphics design in photoshop.

I dont think that it is virus' as I have formatted to this day +- 20 times, and upgraded hard drives and used friends hdd's many times.

PLEASE if you have ANY advice on what to do, I am DESPERATE.

But I need to try start upgrading it again, is it worth upgrading piece by piece to the same PC that keeps hanging? or should I just build a new PC, as in not let the new components even TOUCH the old, as they could be cursed (haha, a joke).

Thank you in advance,
Josh

Hi, yes it is the same 500GB hdd, but it holds like 3 midi files (36k total), my operating system and all my programs and stuff are on the 2TB

BUT if that same hard drive has a problem with a sector when accessing it, it can crash your entire system. I would suggest doing a check disk and try to recovery any bad sectors. If nothing else it'll tell you if there is/was a problem and usually it will isolate the sector(s) so you won't use/access them.

But I am not accessing it? No program uses it

Sorry for intrududing on this but I blame this first:
PSU- Thermaltake 550watt (came with V8 case)

When you built your machine did it come with it installed or seperate purchase.
Also if it has been crashing like that, meaning powering itself off its trying to tell you it wants to die.
Next the GTS, make sure you have stable drivers for it.
If you do indeed do alot of work, then yeah something will give way over time.
Welcome to Thermaltake

This is the 3rd or 4th PSU I have tried. If they keep dying, what could be the cause?

It maybe a motherboard problem, the only way to find out for sure is to call msi technical support.
If you cannot get a reason to why your computer keeps going out.
Find a computer store to test your psu and check the voltage.
If it is find and the gpu is not the problem, move on to a newer motherboard.

I have, I have upgraded each pice individually around 2-4 times now, new graphics card, new psu, new mobo, everything. I took it in to 2 shops, they both said that the tests said it was fine

Back
Top Bottom