Can overclocking the GPU cause decreased performance?

That could be it. Boost clock too high could be unstable forcing regular clock speed or lower boost.

Hmm, this boost clock thing is all new to me. It does sometimes look like it's trying to change the clock even though it's forced to boost. The core clock graph line isn't straight sometimes, it ripples like it's fighting with itself. I'd prefer if "boost" wasn't involved at all, seems stupid.

That is exactly why I went with a 580 in May of last year. I figured a 680 would only be about 5-10% faster.....was totally wrong lol. Still though, I hate that boost crap. Only way to make it go away is raise the actual default 3D clock via a bios flash.

There is a bios editor you use to set your own clocks, RAM timings, voltages, and other things. I don't recommend toying with this stuff as you can brick your card easily.

That's what I've read, easy to brick the card. I think I'll just leave it alone until it starts effecting my gaming. Which probably won't be until the new consoles come out so I have some time.

That's what I've read, easy to brick the card. I think I'll just leave it alone until it starts effecting my gaming. Which probably won't be until the new consoles come out so I have some time.
Yea I recently found out I can use nibitor to edit the bios on my 580s and almost went nuts. Haven't been able to do that since I had some 7950GTs. Then realized, probably a bad idea lol.

Even if you had problems, they would mostly be CPU. Only for next gen games though.

Back
Top Bottom