Broken power button

eman9405

Beta member
Earlier today I tried turning my computer on, and it wouldn't turn on. The light in the back was on so I knew it wasn't a power issue. When I took off the front cover, the button was physically broken. Is there a way to turn it on?

What part of the button was physically broken? Just the switch itself? The wires? The connector that connects the button/wires to the front-panel header?

Can always just try to find a new button at an electronics shop that would work.

If you look at what the power button is plugged into, you'll see two pins on the motherboard when you unplug it. Touching the two pins at the same time with the tip of a screwdriver will create a short between the pins and turn the machine on. That's basically what the power button does. You'll probably want to find a more permanent solution, but in the meantime that will work.

Just the switch. I'll see if I can get a replacement, but in the meantime, is there a way I can turn it on until I can fix it?
EDIT: Posted a little too late.

Like DistraughtSysop said, short the 2 pins that the power switch connects to. That'll power it on.

Doesn't have to be a screwdriver; can be anything metal that's conductive enough and can short the 2 pins.

Back
Top Bottom