GeForce 6800 series Video encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxkrnxstylezxx

In Runtime
I read that the video encoding hardware on all the 6800 series were broken. Meaning the CPU has to do the work instead of the graphics card...So does this mean when I watch any videos or anything on my computer, my CPU will be at like 60%?

Is there a way to fix this someway? I just bought a PNY Verto GeForce 6800 for $200...I didn't open it yet but I don't know if I should keep it or buy a 6600gt because of the video thing. How important is video encoding?

it says "Integrated full hardware MPEG-2 Decoder - Delivers full-frame rate, full-screen MPEG-2 video on your desktop. " on the descriptions.

Thanks

Any video card has to do some video encoding, but i would imagine that most of it is done by the cpu. I havent checked it out on my comupter when i run a dvd or video file. I'll have to look at this when i get back to my computer.

I haven't heard of anything about the video encoding being broken...got some kind of article to prove that? Generally I would assume in the case of videos your CPU should be doing most of the work and/or RAM since you usually have to have certain codecs installed on your machine just to be able to watch the videos anyway and the video card only works a little bit for the 'standard 2d' applications and a few controls for the brightness and whatnot of the video.

I don't think your CPU will sit at 60% just from watching a movie though....but again I'm not 100% sure

hmm well...if there was NO acceleration like they say then there would be no seeing anything. No acceleration=no monitor image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom