new third monitor, second stopped working

joelgoddard

Beta member
my system's main monitor runs from integrated intel HD 3000 VGA port. second monitor is from DVI converted to VGA from discrete nVidia GeForce 9300. I just added a 42" LG tv as a third monitor. it's connected through HDMI in the integrated system. when I connected the third monitor, the second one (geforce 9300) is no longer detected.

Monitors:
19' Acer - VGA - Intel HD 3000
17" Acer - VGA - GeForce 9300 <--- not working
42" LG - HDMI - Intel HD 3000

That is because you can have two monitors connected at one time when using an external and/or internal video.

You would need to have two external video cards to have this work properly.

You would need to have two external video cards to have this work properly.

Or a single Radeon card with one of the monitors connected through the display port. If you use a display port adapter, it needs to be an active one.

Either way, you'd need a new video card.

It worked when i plugged in the TV while the computer was still on with both monitor running. I had both monitors working when i added the TV through HDMI, then the second monitor stopped when i rebooted. I'm wondering if there is some sort of BIOS setting i could change...

I don't know if it's as complicated as we're making it.

When you say it was working before the reboot, you should try and backtrack. Plug in both VGA monitors again. Check the properties, (I'm assuming you're running Windows 7), and make sure that they are both in working order, and that they can display your primary and secondary monitor (they should have a big #1 and #2 flashing for a second or two).

If that works, try plugging the HDMI TV in. What happens?

I seem to have it working. I re installed the nVidia drivers and plugged the TV into the discrete card. i'll see if it works after reboot.

EDIT: it works after reboot. thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I reinstalled the drivers just to refresh those settings and go back to how it was before i got the TV. I then plugged the TV into the nVidia card. it looks like since in BIOS I've set integrated video as the primary display device, that it can only support one of my multiple monitors.

Back
Top Bottom