Considering upgrading my CPU

I'm only installing it so I can better recommend parts for people who do want to play it. Plus I'm curious at how a F2P game is so "resource" hungry. It doesn't look that great in screenshots.

PP the map is about 20X the size of the biggest map in bf3, that desert one, that has a lot to do with why i think its so intensive. anyway to see the best CPU's available look at tom's hardware, they do a rating every month
Best high-end gaming processors : February 2013

I'm only installing it so I can better recommend parts for people who do want to play it. Plus I'm curious at how a F2P game is so "resource" hungry. It doesn't look that great in screenshots.

It also isn't that great of a game, but its f2p so whatever. For the record when I played it I don't remember experiencing any lag with my setup. I'll check again when possible.

PP the map is about 20X the size of the biggest map in bf3, that desert one, that has a lot to do with why i think its so intensive. anyway to see the best CPU's available look at tom's hardware, they do a rating every month
Best high-end gaming processors : February 2013
Yea, and I doubt seriously it's anything like my copy of Skyrim. Hint: It's over 20GB in size and kills SLI 580s. I finally made it use over 3GB of RAM, but barely. Less than 3.1. My point there is, this is a F2P game with what sounds like a large draw distance, lower texture res, and I doubt any real coding for multi-threading.
Hence, my doubt.

If draw distance is an issue then it will be his GPU anyways as it's a VRAM problem., just like GTA4, just like I said before. That's why I'm taking the time to actually grab the game and play it myself to see. I'm only going to run a single 580 to see what it does, monitor VRAM usage, RAM usage, and core usage.

As it stands, friend just told me his setup is using 1.2GB of RAM maxed.

Boom, not very resource hungry at all. Max used 1.7GB of RAM, 500MB of VRAM, and never more than 40% on a single core. HT is off. Avegerage FPS between 45 and 50 with a single 580.

CPU at 4.2.

20130307_145032.jpg

PP Mguire said:
Boom, not very resource hungry at all. Max used 1.7GB of RAM, 500MB of VRAM, and never more than 40% on a single core. HT is off. Avegerage FPS between 45 and 50 with a single 580.
So would you suggest a better GPU for him then? I take it by "Max used", this was on max visual settings?

Max used means RAM usage never went over 1.7GB.

Yes max settings were used @ 1920x1200. Draw distance maxed as well as the other settings.
Ok, so it may not be the best optimized game for multi-core processors.
So is his gpu is the reason why only 25-30fps?

Well, multiplayer relies on CPU, but I don't think an i5 760 will be a bottleneck. It's a good quad core, throw a decent overclock on it and you have a pretty good chip.
If he's playing at 1080p and higher, then yes an HD Radeon 7850 will be the main reason of low FPS and stuttering, especially if it's 1 GB.

Well, multiplayer relies on CPU, but I don't think an i5 760 will be a bottleneck. It's a good quad core, throw a decent overclock on it and you have a pretty good chip.
If he's playing at 1080p and higher, then yes an HD Radeon 7850 will be the main reason of low FPS and stuttering, especially if it's 1 GB.

This. With a 580 I was getting 45-50 and sometimes 40fps. Definitely not the CPU.

Don't think VRAM is an issue with this game. I never went over 500MB usage. VRAM is his issue with GTA4 though.

This. With a 580 I was getting 45-50 and sometimes 40fps. Definitely not the CPU.

Don't think VRAM is an issue with this game. I never went over 500MB usage. VRAM is his issue with GTA4 though.
Yea, GTA4 is optimized like crap IIRC.
OP, get a better cooler than the stock one, overclock your CPU decently, and upgrade your GPU. You can sell your 7850 for a decent price, but don't pick up anything less than a 7950 or a 660 Ti, something less than that won't be a big upgrade, could be a sidegrade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom