Hard drive cloned, XP won't boot, stops at driver.mup

Jawnskeel

In Runtime
Tried doing some research but I kept running into dead ends.

Original computer crashed, hard drive intact, however there is a program on it with custom settings and such that I don't want to have to resetup (real pain in the butt, and I didn't back up its database :neutral: ). I would have just swapped the old hard drive into this new system, but it uses a different interface (IDE on the old one). The new computer doesn't have IDE. So I used a computer that had both, used Clonezilla to clone old drive to new drive (same size drives btw) and it succeeded. Windows XP asks to boot in either regular or safe mode. I tried safe mode, and it stops loading and reboots at mup.sys.

I'm guessing this is because of a new hardware configuration the OS doesn't recognize. Is there any way to get this system to boot? I have a bootable XP disc, and I got into recovery, but chkdsk isn't working because it can't find autochk.exe.

Please save me from having to spend hours upon hours rebuilding the database for the application :(:(

Last edited:
Can try running a repair install:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Need an XP disc with the same version (Home or Pro) and SP (SP1, 2, or 3) as what was installed on the system.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I tried last night, and it wouldn't accept the XP key of the machine. I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 back onto the newer machine, booted up the old XP machine, was able to extract settings and database information from the old XP machine, setup the new machine with the application and import the database and settings. Thanks for the help anyway!

Back
Top Bottom