Reusing Macbook Pro Display

The Napster

In Runtime
I have a 15" macbook pro that I recently spilled liquid on. I took it apart and noticed the chip where the power connects is completely fried and there is also a questionable spot in the center of the motherboard. So needless to say its done. I was wondering if it was possible to salvage the screen for use as a monitor. I know that usually this is very complicated, but I didn't know if anyone knew some way for this to be done since Macs are pretty well standardized. Just feels like such a waste of such a nice display.

The best thing to say is, it's not going to work.
usually for laptops the screen and motherboard need to work together, the screen is not like a monitor, and lacks the parts required to be able to convert input signals to the screen.
This process is usually done by the motherboard/graphics section, so you would most likely need to build this yourself.

You will need to know a fair bit about electronics, and possibly programming of ROM chips, to create a converter, and you would need to obtain the factsheet for the screen to know what all the pins on the ribbon do
and would need to figure out how to convert the signal from a DVI port to the ribbon inputs.
It won't just be a case of adding a DVI port to the end of the ribbon, so you would need some electronics knowledge to perform this task.
Don't forget you will also need to incorporate a power supply, the inverter and if it has one, the backlight

My advise would be
if the laptop screen works, just sell it(or the laptop as spares) on ebay and put the cash towards a good monitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom