The best AGP card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadley

In Runtime
Hi,

The misses and i are planning a baby so i have to sell my beloved car:( 2 seats just won't do!

So to cheer myself up i'm gonna spend a wedge of the cash from the sale on a nice shiney new graphics card:D

Only had my fx5900xt 4 months but what the heck:p

What is the very bestest AGP card currently available?
Price isn't an issue;)

p.s no workstation cards thanks:)

Naturally everybody here will tell you to get the eVGA 6800GT. However, I would suggest looking at the X800XT Platinum Edition as well as the 6800GT. I comes down to this. What games do you like to play? If you like Doom 3 engine games, then the 6800GT will server you the best. However, the X800XT P.E. kicks arse in Source (HL2) engine games. So I would either suggest an ATI X800XT P.E. or an EVGA 6800GT. Stay away from the 6800NU and the X800 Pro. They are not worth the money.

The 6800 Ultra is pretty much a waste of money. Like he said, get the GT and overclock it. I have to say, as much as I don't like the X800 Pro, the X800XT P.E. is currently the best AGP card out there.

Nah...get the Extreme Edition from eVGA, you can OC that this so far so its insane. Best card on the market.

**x800's although fast are not futureproof (no new technology compared to 6800's).

Thanks for replies.
I do play Doom3 but have been playing HL2 loads recently and i know i'll be playing CS:S loads too:)

Infact it was HL2 that made me want a new card.
My current card plays it well enough but i feel cheated that i cannot run it in DX9 mode without a massive performance hit!

I wanna see the nice reflective water effects. I even reinstalled my old radeon 9600 to see them but it didn't play as smooth as i liked!

So yea, Source engine games are what i want running tip top foremost.

ALSO i've fallen in love with STALKER as it looks gorgeous!! So i will be playing that too!

chadley said:
Thanks for replies.
I do play Doom3 but have been playing HL2 loads recently and i know i'll be playing CS:S loads too:)

Infact it was HL2 that made me want a new card.
My current card plays it well enough but i feel cheated that i cannot run it in DX9 mode without a massive performance hit!

I wanna see the nice reflective water effects. I even reinstalled my old radeon 9600 to see them but it didn't play as smooth as i liked!

So yea, Source engine games are what i want running tip top foremost.

ALSO i've fallen in love with STALKER as it looks gorgeous!! So i will be playing that too!

Ok that makes sense but always remember what I said about nVIDIA's cards being futureproof. Although I did see one interesting tid-bit on info about Source. Half Life 2 uses the Source engine and it is optimized for ATi...duh, well so does Vampire: The Masquerade and it is Optimized for nVIDIA.

STALKER...I have no clue who gets dibs on that, but I agree it does look awesome.

In this case a simple nVIDIA 6800 GT-EE will be less-just as expensive as a x800 XT. The nVIDIA will be optimized on more games that ATi, for some reason everyon like nVIDIA.

So, just my 2 cents on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom