Identifying RAM

-SeanS

Solid State Member
Hi

I have recently bought a Vaio desktop (VPCL13S1E) which was faulty. I was told it had 8gb ram installed so the first thing I did when receiving was to check the RAM. I was unable to check on the screen so I have taken out the RAM sticks and they each say 2GB 2Rx8 PC2. Am I being stupid or does that mean there is 4GB installed not 8? Or is there 2GB on each side of the stick? It has 8 small black chips on each side.

Thanks for your help!

Any website that I look up on says that that pc has 4 dimm slots.
2GBx4=8GB.
Can you confirm that the pc has 4 slots?

Any website that I look up on says that that pc has 4 dimm slots.
2GBx4=8GB.
Can you confirm that the pc has 4 slots?

That is what was confusing me, it definitely only has two slots, and the specs says it can support upto 12gb ram so unless you can get a 6gb stick which I know you can't, I don't get it?

That is what was confusing me, it definitely only has two slots, and the specs says it can support upto 12gb ram so unless you can get a 6gb stick which I know you can't, I don't get it?
Apparently it has 4GB embedded in the motherboard, and only allows you to configure the two FREE dimm slots.

So upgrading the 2x2GB to 2x4GB sticks would bring you to 12GB.

Apparently it has 4GB embedded in the motherboard, and only allows you to configure the two FREE dimm slots.

So upgrading the 2x2GB to 2x4GB sticks would bring you to 12GB.

That would explain it, thanks for your help! :) Can you tell me where you found that info as I was googling for ages and couldnt find anything.

Thanks

That would explain it, thanks for your help! :) Can you tell me where you found that info as I was googling for ages and couldnt find anything.

Thanks
Well, I saw in a google search earlier today, but now I can't find it again :annoyed:.
But, I got conflicting tech specs from a couple different websites that specify how many slots it has.

This says there are 3 dimm slots...
Computer memory upgrades for Sony VAIO VPCL13S1E/S Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

This says there are 2 dimm slots...
Sony VAIO L13 specs | PC Pro

Plus, it wouldn't be the first I've heard of a pc where some of the memory you can't mess with (or at least make difficult enough for the average consumer to not want to access) it.
My Dell laptop has one dimm free where the hard drive is on the underside, but the other dimm slot is hidden underneath the keyboard.

Run this lightweight program, and see how much RAM you have installed. (Lightweight=you don't have to install it)
http://www.alexnolan.net/software/SysSpec.exe

Well, I saw in a google search earlier today, but now I can't find it again :annoyed:.
But, I got conflicting tech specs from a couple different websites that specify how many slots it has.

This says there are 3 dimm slots...
Computer memory upgrades for Sony VAIO VPCL13S1E/S Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

This says there are 2 dimm slots...
Sony VAIO L13 specs | PC Pro

Plus, it wouldn't be the first I've heard of a pc where some of the memory you can't mess with (or at least make difficult enough for the average consumer to not want to access) it.
My Dell laptop has one dimm free where the hard drive is on the underside, but the other dimm slot is hidden underneath the keyboard.

Run this lightweight program, and see how much RAM you have installed. (Lightweight=you don't have to install it)
http://www.alexnolan.net/software/SysSpec.exe

Thanks for the help, it turns out there are two extra dimm slots with 2x2GB sticks on the underside of the motherboard which I realised after taking it out. I can't check anything software wise as I think the motherboard is dead. I bought the PC for parts as the owner had taken it to a technician who attempted to solder a new north bridge unsuccessfully. Whilst I had the board out though I tried a few DIY reflows in the oven which didn't work, I'm contemplating buying another MB as I have seen one on ebay for 250 delivered but not sure if it is worth the risk of it not working. What do you guys think? Sell for parts or fix it?

Thanks

I'd scrap it. $250 for parts and then at the end of the day, you still have an old computer.
That money could go towards a pc with a newer, more modern intel core i-series processor and DDR3 memory.

Back
Top Bottom