OS and DATA?

Mattmatt

In Runtime
I really don't know what the difference is. My OS is almost full, but my data has a free 279 GB. How do I put storage on there? Is it different?

Your HDD sounds to be separated into 2 partitions.

What OS do you have?

You can move your data (documents/pictures/music) over to the Data partition, and install all your programs on the OS partition if you like. There's ways to move your "My Music" , "My Documents", "My Videos", etc. over to the Data partition and have them point there automatically.

See this post: http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-7-faq-questions-172024/index80.html#post1826902

I had this problem before on a Sony Vaio I bout about 10 years ago. The tech's that installed the OS put it on a 19gb partition (c:/) and named the secondary partition (d:/) "DATA". I finally just backed everything up, deleted both partitions and formatted into 1 partition. I think he's wondering why his computer is saying two different things.

You can merge partitions by deleting your "DATA" partition, and merging them in Disk Management.

If anyone else can shed light, it would probably be appreciated.

I have windows 7 to answer carnages question. I think merging them would be the best option, but I don't want to delete all my files and then be screwed, so I need to make sure how to do this right.

I have windows 7 to answer carnages question. I think merging them would be the best option, but I don't want to delete all my files and then be screwed, so I need to make sure how to do this right.

You have 2 options really:
1) Merge partitions: If you do this, you'll want to make sure there is no data on the Data partition. Then use a GParted LiveCD to delete the Data partition, and then expand your existing partition, taking up the "Unpartitioned space".

2) Move your data / large files to the "Data" partition: As I instructed above.

Back
Top Bottom