Why will Windows and Gparted not permit me to use a full 3TB HDD?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all.

Just installed a new Seagate Baracuda 3 TB. I would like to use all 3TB, without having to create partitions.

Unfortunately, both Windows and Gparted Live will not permit it.

The only way it permits me to use this Seagate Baracuda 3 TB is if I partition it up with a 2TB/1TB set up.

What is kind a weird for me is this new Seagate Baracuda 3 TB came already partitioned, new in the box. Never seen that before...but this is the first time I have ever gone above 2TB.

Just wondering why this is happening and is there any way around it.

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
What OS?

--update--

Found a great article, if you're into reading about more than you need. But it should explain a way to get around it (or at least give you a head start).

Last edited:
Hi all.

Just installed a new Seagate Baracuda 3 TB. I would like to use all 3TB, without having to create partitions.

Unfortunately, both Windows and Gparted Live will not permit it.

The only way it permits me to use this Seagate Baracuda 3 TB is if I partition it up with a 2TB/1TB set up.

What is kind a weird for me is this new Seagate Baracuda 3 TB came already partitioned, new in the box. Never seen that before...but this is the first time I have ever gone about 2TB.

Just wondering why this is happening and is there any way around it.

Thanks,

Soar
Should be a 3TB setting in your bios and you need to partition the drive with a different partition.

Is this just a secondary drive, or are you trying to install Windows on it?

Whoops...sorry for not posting more info.

Primary Drive: Intel SSD SATA III Cherryville 520 180GB
OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

What OS?

--update--

Found a great article, if you're into reading about more than you need. But it should explain a way to get around it (or at least give you a head start).

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Should be a 3TB setting in your bios and you need to partition the drive with a different partition.

Where might I find it in the BIOS and what is this "different partition" you mentioned?

Thanks,

Soar

I have no idea where it would be in your bios. Partition type is GPT. Try going to
control panel \ administrative tools \ computer management \ disk management

See if the drive is there just with no partition. If it is, create a simple volume with the GPT partition.

I have no idea where it would be in your bios. Partition type is GPT. Try going to
control panel \ administrative tools \ computer management \ disk management

See if the drive is there just with no partition. If it is, create a simple volume with the GPT partition.

Ok, I did find it in disc management, but it would not permit me to see as one complete hard drive but rather as a 2.2 TB + 800MB. It was automatically partitioned.

I did notice all my drives are NTFS. Are you saying a simple shift from NTFS to GPT will solve the issue? And if yes, does Gparted grant such options too [I really like working with Gparted rather than the Windows disc management].

Thanks,

Soar

Back
Top Bottom