Where the Line Falls

I was under the impression that Jailbreaking and Rooting was now illegal? I haven't been keeping up on that but that was the last I heard.

Phones, no. Tablets, yes (because they weren't included in the ruling).

Unlocking however is now illegal (was previously legal).

I was under the impression that Jailbreaking and Rooting was now illegal? I haven't been keeping up on that but that was the last I heard.

Exactly what Carnage said. Unlocking a phone for international use, is now illegal. Rooting a phone doesnt give you unlocking. Heck even unlocking the boot loader does not give you international usage. But what it does give you is full use of the device to do what you want with it.

Which is exactly what JailBreaking does. You can use the device to do what you want with it. But you cant just pop in an international SIM card into it and have it work. It would still require the unlock code from the carrier.

So you may be thinking of the Unlocking aspect that has everyone up in arms, the part that carriers now reserve the right to leave a device locked to their service and not provide an unlock code for World use.

Rooting/JailBreaking is still completely legal and only thing it does is void your warranty....

Hmm if that's the case then everybody on FB *****ing about not being able to Jailbreak/Root are idiots. Although I just Googled and apparently you can't Jailbreak the iPad anymore.
I need to look into the further gray areas because I'm unlocked but still on the same carrier.

If you unlocked before Jan 26th, then you are safe. It is only since then that Carriers have the right to deny the unlock codes. There is no saying that they will. If you have a contract phone and have been with the company ~30-60 days, all you have to do is call them. Tell them you are traveling out of country and need the unlock code. If your account is in good standing, they will 90% of the time give you the unlock code for world use. Some companies say 90 days though.

As far as not being able to JailBreak something, that is only cause Apple has released iOS 6.1.1 (if I remember correctly) and that has locked the Jailbroken devices. It is only a matter of time before someone releases a JailBreak method for them again. I have seen the jailbreaks be from the day after a release to 60 days later.

I would say that the people just dont understand the full terminology about what is being stated. This article here:

It's Now Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone - ABC News

Is a perfect read through on what exactly is illegal in regards to "unlocking" a phone. Rooting/Jailbreaking is only giving the user Root or Admin rights. Nothing more. It is just like unlocking the hidden Admin account in Windows Vista, Win7 and Win8.

Is a perfect read through on what exactly is illegal in regards to "unlocking" a phone. Rooting/Jailbreaking is only giving the user Root or Admin rights. Nothing more. It is just like unlocking the hidden Admin account in Windows Vista, Win7 and Win8.

Exactly.

All rooting really is, is just installing the SU binaries available on normal Linux platform, into the Android OS, which then gives you root privileges (hence the name "rooted").

If you unlocked before Jan 26th, then you are safe. It is only since then that Carriers have the right to deny the unlock codes. There is no saying that they will. If you have a contract phone and have been with the company ~30-60 days, all you have to do is call them. Tell them you are traveling out of country and need the unlock code. If your account is in good standing, they will 90% of the time give you the unlock code for world use. Some companies say 90 days though.

As far as not being able to JailBreak something, that is only cause Apple has released iOS 6.1.1 (if I remember correctly) and that has locked the Jailbroken devices. It is only a matter of time before someone releases a JailBreak method for them again. I have seen the jailbreaks be from the day after a release to 60 days later.

I would say that the people just dont understand the full terminology about what is being stated. This article here:

It's Now Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone - ABC News

Except the article I read said literally it's illegal to Jailbreak the iPad but not the iPhone or iPod. Not that I really care as I'll never own an Apple device, but just what it said.

My situation is this, early last year I bought the GS2 refurb for 10 bucks and had a contract with them. That got screwed so I went to a GoPhone SIM. I already had the custom ROM and had it SIM unlocked. I called the lady and told them I couldn't text at all on their Pantech device (which was the most expensive one at the time) and that I would much prefer my other phone. I didn't specify what it was at all. I told her I tried to put it in the phone and that it recognized the SIM but I got no signal. She said that's because the SIM is locked to the other phone and she will just unlock it for any phone I wish to use. I think my wording was key there, but that's how I'm using a GoPhone SIM on my GS2 and have been for almost a year straight.

See why I was wondering? My phone is technically "unlocked" (I can put any SIM in it, and I can put that GoPhone SIM in any GSM phone) but I'm still on the ATT network with an ATT SIM with an ATT phone.

Technically the article is right. It is illegal to jailbreak the iPad. If we want to get ultra technical, the iPod would fall under that as well. Since it is not a phone nor carrier device like the iPhone which is covered by the ruling.

Again, you fall before the mark of Jan 26, 2013 when it became illegal for the phone world unlocking. It doesnt matter the situation. You were completely legal to ask for the unlock code. I know several carriers that still hand them out even though it is technically illegal. I called AT&T and got a phone unlocked for a Canadian just last week.

So it can still be done and it can still be done by AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon and Sprint if they so choose. The only thing that has changed, is it is up to the carrier. It is their discretion on if they want to or not. You get a bad Service Rep and they wont do it at all. Hang up, call again and you might get one that time that will do it, no questions asked.

The law is simply stating that the consumer cant use that as an argument if they buy a phone locked to a specific carrier that it must be unlocked by them for use with another service. They have the right to deny that now. But the chances are you will still find a Service Rep that is willing to give it to you. Might take a call or 3, but it can and will happen.

Technically the article is right. It is illegal to jailbreak the iPad. If we want to get ultra technical, the iPod would fall under that as well. Since it is not a phone nor carrier device like the iPhone which is covered by the ruling.

Again, you fall before the mark of Jan 26, 2013 when it became illegal for the phone world unlocking. It doesnt matter the situation. You were completely legal to ask for the unlock code. I know several carriers that still hand them out even though it is technically illegal. I called AT&T and got a phone unlocked for a Canadian just last week.

So it can still be done and it can still be done by AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon and Sprint if they so choose. The only thing that has changed, is it is up to the carrier. It is their discretion on if they want to or not. You get a bad Service Rep and they wont do it at all. Hang up, call again and you might get one that time that will do it, no questions asked.

The law is simply stating that the consumer cant use that as an argument if they buy a phone locked to a specific carrier that it must be unlocked by them for use with another service. They have the right to deny that now. But the chances are you will still find a Service Rep that is willing to give it to you. Might take a call or 3, but it can and will happen.

What's the justification for jailbreaking an iPad or iPod touch to be illegal though?

Back
Top Bottom