Upgrading a rig, need opinions

Windadept

Beta member
First of all, hi there, I'm new here, but I kinda signed up because I need a more experienced person's opinion on what I'm planning on doing.

What I'm currently running:
Gateway DX4840-03c
Intel i5 650 @3.2GHz
Intel H77 motherboard
3x2 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
Radeon HD 6850 1GB (overclocked, I forgot the manufacturer)

I'm planning on replacing most of the parts, these were the suggestion of the salesperson that was helping me out:
Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte Thunderbolt Z77X UP4TH
Corsair H100i
Corsair TX650
Corsair 500R

Total with tax: $840CDN

As you can see, I'm planning on keeping the RAM and my current graphics card, as well as the HDD. I will also potentially overclock the CPU.

What I would like to know is, what are you opinion on the new setup?
The most important parts to me are the CPU and the Motherboard.
I would also like to know if there are any cheaper alternatives (hopefully of the same quality) to the case, cooling, and PSU that anyone can suggest.

Thank you for your time.

Well first we need to know what it is you plan on doing with the computer.

Secondly, there is no way you can have an i5 650 on an H77 board. The chip is 1156 and the board is 1155.

Well first we need to know what it is you plan on doing with the computer.

Secondly, there is no way you can have an i5 650 on an H77 board. The chip is 1156 and the board is 1155.

It's going to be mostly a gaming rig, but not super high end.
In terms of the CPU, PSU, and cooling, I'm looking for something of similar quality, just possibly not as expensive.

I've actually looked into the parts that were used for this PC, and that's what it said as to the MB used in the 4840 series, it's possible that in my version the MB model is different.
Either way, I knew from the start that I would have to ditch this MB because no other chip uses 1156 as far I know (or at the very least, no decent chip).

If this PC is going to be used for gaming I would go with something else for a CPU and get a better GPU.

In terms of gaming the CPU doesn't actually need to be OCed.
I support the notion for an IB CPU, and I support the notion for the TX650.
The 500r is a good case, but I personally find the front ugly. If you want to go a tad cheaper you can either get the 300r or even the 200r. Both are great cheap cases.

Personally, I would grab the i5 3570k now, an ASRock Extreme 3 Z77, and hold off on the cooler. While saving that cash you will want to grab a 2x4GB set of 1600 DDR3 and I would look into GPU upgrade options. GTX 660ti, 7870, something in that area. For gaming, an i3 3220 and a B75 board would work perfect on a budget.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the alternative parts.
As for the GPU, I'll stick with my current one for the moment, until the prices of the 6900 series drop.

They will only really drop for used because as the stock dwindles prices wont keep going down. You're better off with keeping updated on your GPU if you game anyways. TBH you'll get more of an FPS increase if you simply updated your GPU rather than just your CPU.

Personally, I would grab the i5 3570k now, an ASRock Extreme 3 Z77, and hold off on the cooler. While saving that cash you will want to grab a 2x4GB set of 1600 DDR3 and I would look into GPU upgrade options. GTX 660ti, 7870, something in that area.

He is right, the processor, motherboard and ram are dead on.
Totally agree on the cooling also, it is not needed.

I like ATI cards better, just had better luck but BOTH cards are real good and fit a budget.

Had this build on the original quad core I5 that came out and very well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom