Where the Line Falls

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

Please bear with me; I wasn't completely sure this particular area was where this topic should go. In the case that it is moved, I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused anyone. I just had a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now....

I am aware that on this site we are not allowed to discuss any type of hacking, cracking, etc. However, I also know there is a specific section for Overclocking and Modding. The fact that this is flooded with hardware questions (and the fact it's made for them) aside, say someone wanted to post something about software modding? In a nutshell I guess I'm asking is there a line we cannot cross with that subject? I know most of that is probably considered hacking; no, on second thought that's pretty much the only thing you could really label most of it as. But what about more innocent software modifications (legal ones) to say, improve hardware compatibility? (I'm afraid to give more specific examples for the exact reason I'm posting this question.) So again, are we not allowed to discuss any type of software modifying or is there just a line we cannot cross with it? Thanks again for your time and/or answers; they are always greatly appreciated. :)

Not exactly sure what you mean by software modding... Kinda need to be more specific.

Modifying open source software is also fine.

Like I said, it depends on what is considered "software modding."

@Everyone: I was talking more about things like driver modding, yes. But I was also poking at software that's really more in the gray area, like iPod firmware. Technically speaking modifying it isn't illegal to my knowledge (at least at the moment), but we aren't allowed to discuss jailbreaking and such. Is there no problem with showing software mods as long as the developers flat up say it is allowed legally?

If you can give proof on a website within a FAQ or on a main page that a developer says it is ok to modify their software, then it will be allowed. But it will not fly with a screen shot or image of them saying as much as those can easily be faked. I want to see a link to the page that says it. I want to be able to check that link and see for myself that they said it was okay for such activity.

Technically speaking Jailbreaking is not illegal. But we are not going to go into depth on how to do it or write up a script ourselves. If someone comes around asking about how to do it we will gladly assist them with anything they need, short of creating the program ourselves and having it hosted on this site. Last thing we need is Apple stopping by giving us a nice fat lawsuit.

I am pretty sure I can find it in the Apple Terms of Use and License Agreement that the iPod Firmware is not a grey area that invites people to hack at it. Much like the OS X ToU states that it cant be installed to anything but Apple Branded computers. So if you really want me to find that little tidbit of information, I will gladly find it. I highly doubt the firmware for iOS is left open for hackers to just mess with. Jailbreaking to enable the device to do things that it should normally be able to do is 1 thing, but modifying the firmware to do something it was not intended to do is another.

If you can give proof on a website within a FAQ or on a main page that a developer says it is ok to modify their software, then it will be allowed. But it will not fly with a screen shot or image of them saying as much as those can easily be faked. I want to see a link to the page that says it. I want to be able to check that link and see for myself that they said it was okay for such activity.

Technically speaking Jailbreaking is not illegal. But we are not going to go into depth on how to do it or write up a script ourselves. If someone comes around asking about how to do it we will gladly assist them with anything they need, short of creating the program ourselves and having it hosted on this site. Last thing we need is Apple stopping by giving us a nice fat lawsuit.

I am pretty sure I can find it in the Apple Terms of Use and License Agreement that the iPod Firmware is not a grey area that invites people to hack at it. Much like the OS X ToU states that it cant be installed to anything but Apple Branded computers. So if you really want me to find that little tidbit of information, I will gladly find it. I highly doubt the firmware for iOS is left open for hackers to just mess with. Jailbreaking to enable the device to do things that it should normally be able to do is 1 thing, but modifying the firmware to do something it was not intended to do is another.

Exactly. As long as it is specifically prohibited in the Terms of Use (or whatever they want to call it) then it is not allowed here on Tech-Forums.

If something is not specifically prohibited (and we will not split hairs as far as calling a spade anything else besides a spade, i.e. trying to call something by a different name to skirt the prohibition)) then it is allowed up to the point that it is moving into prohibited areas.

Like KSoD said, we do not want any lawsuits brought to bear... and there would be as we have been in the crosshairs before.

I was under the impression that Jailbreaking and Rooting was now illegal? I haven't been keeping up on that but that was the last I heard.

Back
Top Bottom