corsair XMS latency question

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmonk888

Baseband Member
hey guys .. i decided to go blow 200 bucks on Corsair XMS ram on my computer and i was going to get double sided ram.. 2X512.. or is 1 1ghz single sided better? also .. whats the best performing xms out there? what are the numbers it should show in bios? also .. will it be supported by MSI k8T Neo2 and a AMD 3500+ 939 pin??

thnx for any input =D

is it bettter for what reason? because i dont think my motherboard supports more than 2 dual sticks at 200MHZ, so if i ever want to update id need to get 1 stick of 1 gig also .. whats best XMS memory ? 2-2-2-5?

so no one knows whats best Corsair XMS memory? 2-2-2-5 or 3-3-3-8 .. like i know the difference lol =)

2-2-2-5 is the best. 3-3-3-8 sucks, stay away from it. For real performance, you need at least 2-3-2-6, but 2-2-2-5 is the best out right now.

actually the best corsair puts out right now is 2x 1gig DC Corsair Twinx XMS pc3200 2-2-2-6. its what i got and its whats on the home page(cprsair)

ok .. aside from spending 600 dollars for 2 gigs of ram .. which i would if i had the cash, or thought that my motherboard will support 2 sticks of dual ram, i have more questions .. 1) whats the difference between the normal ram .. and dual channel? i mean .. i could get corsair 1 gb normal .. or corsair twin 2x512 3200 .. problem is .. if i get the normal 1 gb stick .. i could upgrade to 2 eventually by buying another stick .. however .. if i get 2x512.. i cant ever upgrade.. as thats the highest my motherboard will accept in dual ram at 400 FSB.. soo .. whats the difference between dual channel and normal ? and is it worth buying the twin ram knowing that i will never be able to upgrade to 2gig on that mobo? thanx for future input =D

actually the best corsair puts out right now is 2x 1gig DC Corsair Twinx XMS pc3200 2-2-2-6. its what i got and its whats on the home page(cprsair)
Yeah not everyone can spend all their money on 2gbs of the highest performance RAM.......try to prevent useless posts like these, as they are seen as nothing but bragging, he's talking 1gb which he stated clearly and needs to know what will give him the best performance.

1) whats the difference between the normal ram .. and dual channel? i mean
When you see ram listed as 'Dual Channel' RAM, all it means is the two sticks that come in the kit have both been tested and is guaranteed to run in dual channel when you put it in. Your motherboard and CPU both have to support dual channel for it to work which I believe yours does, one of the main benefits of socket 939 is having dual channel abilities. All dual channel is, is basically supposed to give you a performance increase, depending on what article you read it can be anywhere from 5 to 50%, but for the most part you won't notice a huge system increase if you had 1gb of that XMS in Single Channel then changed it to Dual.

So all in all 1gb of XMS RAM technically will not perform as good as 2x512 sticks that have the same timings and are running in Dual Channel, BUT if you'd rather hold out and wait until you can afford another stick of 1gb, then you'll perhaps be able to (as long as you buy the EXACT same stick ) then you can run Dual Channel in the future. You'd have to check your manual to see if the mobo supports it and in what slots, if you have only 2 slots and it supports it then bam it goes in those two :p Some boards have 3 slots, different colors, each color is a 'channel' so you want one ram stick in a different channel so therefore it's running in two or 'Dual Channels' see what I mean?

Anywho, if you got a single 1gb stick then like I said down the road when you get another, if you get the EXACT SAME you might be able to run the 2gb in Dual Channel, but it really wouldn't matter anyway as 2gb of high performance RAM will be enough for anything anyway so that little extra DC performance will hardly register.

EDIT: Oh yeah, some motherboards may only accept Dual Channel up to a certain size like 1gb, but if you choose to instead fill up the board can have like 2gb's but no dual channel, so on some it's a toss up, more memory? Or have the memory run in DC? buuut you'd have to check your motherboard for that.

Generally I'd say like:

Up to 1gb Dual Channel DDR400
Up to 2gb DDR400

which means exactly what I said above. If you only get 1gb you can have it run in Dual Channel, but if filled up, then you just simply have a lot of ram, no DC

so basically nubius 1 gb of 2-2-2-5 is what youd do? but yah .. motherboard has 2 green banks 2 purple banks .. meaning theoretically it should be able to just simply run 2 sets of ddr.. but only at 333.. not 400.. so basically i can either get the 2x512 or 1 gb stick.. also .. is 2-2-2-5 corsair best there is ? figured i might as well buy the best if im gonna spend 200-300 dollars

Actually that board should be able to support up to 4 gig of ram. if you say it has 2 slots of each then that means you can put 2 gig of DC ram on each side. I would get the DC because theoreticaly its supposed to double the speed of your machine. Because of the dual channel mode being able to read and write at twice the speed. And Nubius he asked what the best XMS was out there so i told him. Only answering the question. See you guys only make it seem as though im talkign about my computer 24/7 whereas im not so quit making my name bad in other ppls eyes ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom