Need new gpu

PurpleGorilla

Baseband Member
Hello fellas and ladyfellas,

About two years ago I bought a retail rig and it is starting to bum me out. I innitially only used it for quite casual purposes but as of lately I started playing some more games and started doing some casual video editing (nothing special). But it is not a nice experience at all. So while saving up money for a new rig im planning to build next year, I want to replace my graphics card with one that will suffice some off my casual gaming/editing beter than the dino-card I have in my PC now.

For this card im planning to spend anywhere from 50-100ish dollars. And I was wondering what you guys had to advice me.

My current setup is=
CPU= Intel Core i5 750 @ 2,67Ghz
4 Gigs of ram
Power supply of 350 Watt
and for GPU Ati Radeon HD 4300/4500 series

So thank you guys in advance for any help on this matter :wink2:

You actually have the bones of a nice rig. You would actually be okay spending money on that base to properly upgrade nthe gpu and ower supply.

Without a new larger psu, you're not going to get a very powerful card.

Nfvidia says you can run up to a gt 640 on a 350W psu, nwhich falls in your budget.

How ever, if you do plan a gaming rig, you could put up more cash and get a quality 550-650W psu, and a gtx 650ti for about $100 more, and they'll easily be reusable when you build next.

You actually have the bones of a nice rig. You would actually be okay spending money on that base to properly upgrade nthe gpu and ower supply.

Without a new larger psu, you're not going to get a very powerful card.

Nfvidia says you can run up to a gt 640 on a 350W psu, nwhich falls in your budget.

How ever, if you do plan a gaming rig, you could put up more cash and get a quality 550-650W psu, and a gtx 650ti for about $100 more, and they'll easily be reusable when you build next.

Indeed. The i5 750 is still very capable as I was using one up until last week as it's my backup setup. More RAM and a good GPU will go far.

I suggest getting a better PSU as was mentioned. Something in the 650w range like a Corsair TX or the 620w Seasonic would last you quite a few builds. If you are for sure stuck in your budget then an AMD 7770 or GT 640 should work on your current PSU.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I feel that what u guys say makes a lot of sense and feel like I will pick up the advice and do a bigger upgrade and continue from there on out.

So I looked around and the Geforce GTX 650 Ti looks really good for its price. After that I startyed looking for power supplies I stumbled upon the

Corsair Enthusiast TX550M - 550 Watt for about 50 euros = 66 dollars.

Does this seem like a smart buy? Or should I aim for an even more powerfull PSU? And finally would I also immediatly have to upgrade my casing because I am not sure if the graphics card and psu will fit in.

Edit: My casing stand 14,2 inches tall, is 17.3 inches long and 7,1 inches wide

Last edited:
A 550W is a great psu size if you don't plan on getting much bigger gpu power.

I have a 560ti, and its pretty good and I don't have a need for more power, so for me, I'd be in the 550W range for most my builds.

A tx550m for that price is fantastic. Can you link it.. even if not english.

You are going to need to actually measure your case, These cards have actually gotten smaller, but measuring things out will be your only solution. Then you can decide on a new case or not.

The psu should fit...
Are you able to find a link for your system?

The more info the better we can help you.

A 550w PSU in that caliber will power something up to a 680 so that would be good. GPU power requirements are only going to keep going down.

Just link what case or PC you have. We can tell you information based on that rather than on measurements.

The 650ti is a good little card and a great upgrade from what you currently have, but don't expect to max games.

Hi guys sorry for the slow reply, I was out of town for the day.
Here is the information you guys asked for.

A 550W is a great psu size if you don't plan on getting much bigger gpu power.

I have a 560ti, and its pretty good and I don't have a need for more power, so for me, I'd be in the 550W range for most my builds.

A tx550m for that price is fantastic. Can you link it.. even if not english.

I live in Amsterdam and some local hardware stores sell them below is a link to the PSU, I don't believe they ship internationally though.

Corsair Enthusiast TX550M - 550 Watt

A 550w PSU in that caliber will power something up to a 680 so that would be good. GPU power requirements are only going to keep going down.

Just link what case or PC you have. We can tell you information based on that rather than on measurements.

My Computer is a Q-Motion Goldline 3084, I believe this is a Dutch brand too. My rig is the 3rd one on this folder

http://www.henkveendorp.nl/foldermap/folder.pdf

Thanks for the help guys

Hi guys,

Im back for a quick update:

First of all the PSU is in! So that is one down, now I am planning to get a hold of the new gpu next week.

And it so happened that I got a little extra cash to stuff into my build. And was thinking about acquiring this card:

Computerland - De no-nonsense computerwinkel

Another card I was looking into was the 7850 from ati

So my main questions to you guys is: is this card worth the buck over my previous decision (Link below)? and once again would it fit into my case?

PREVIOUS DECISION FOR GPU

The 7870 is a ton better than the 650ti. I think the card will fit, but it might be a squeeze in there. Since there are no actual pictures that I can judge by you will have to measure yourself if you want to be absolutely certain.

Back
Top Bottom